The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Hollywood or bust? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
918 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Hi,

The effect is adequately described already, I think, on the product page - but it's not as simple as a spec thinking of a scene from a movie and you telling them - if it were that straightforward it would actually be real mindreading ;-)

Of course there's more to it than that - you can probably figure that much out from this topic alone - there's a peek involved at some stage. The routine is very strong and always successful - but sometimes more successful than other times.

I honestly think that if this thread provided too much more information, however, it'd be skirting on revealing a little too much. Sorry about any existing lack of clarity remaining but it's necessary to keep this as an effect exclusive to the ebook rather than simply making it public domain ;-)

Regards,

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
DYL
View Profile
New user
Sheffield, UK
73 Posts

Profile of DYL
I think more than enough has been mentioned already.
Any more said and the whole effect will be given away.

Go buy it, as many people have mentioned, its a killer effect.
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
Jamie is right regarding divulgence.

"Hollywood or Bust" IS simple...as are many good effects. Mentalism is full of straight forward and uncluttered effects...we all know this. It is a clever application of a standard mentalism technique spun with a popular theme and offers an oppertunity to utilise a universal experience (film) as a mentalism subject. I got the effect with another product (well...two actually!) and have never looked back. I (like soooo many others do with most effects) add my own personal approach to it and my own mental misdirections. You could do worse than have this in an E-book for such a reasonable price.
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
frazz
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of frazz
Quote:
On 2005-01-16 12:40, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
(the grocery store thing???? waste of digital space)

I read through this tonight and thought that the grocery store idea would be perfect for a "one off" performance - on a promotional video, a TV show or something. The method described is totally practical - and very easy - but it just requires the right circumstances. This is the kind of thing you can have in the back of your mind and save for the right occasion.
Aaron Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Aaron Lucas
If I have the Cheetah's Handbook is it also worth getting Colin Miller's Sensory Perception? I would like to read more of his work.
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
Very - very close /similar to a cassidy routine...
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
AAron:

Yes, the two are different. Mr Badman kindly contacted me regarding my 'PMS'y posts on the book. Since I am not a cardman, I was put off by the (moderate) sleights involved. I think moderate abilities would make the book fly,and according to others, the book is a winner. Hollywood or bust principle is very strong and my assumptions were that everyone knew of it. It may well be the first time an extrapolation has actually been put in print. Mentalists will like it, no doubt, and tho Cheeta offers a set 'effect', the principle is usually used on the fly, ad lib, during readings...and thus can be used several times for the same person in the same reading without them realizing it. The use of the principle itself is jaw-dropping and I assumed it was more well known among mentalists. Way back when, during the heyday of McCormack Place Psychic Fairs everyone I knew knew it and used it.

Regarding the Grocery Store thing being a waste of digital space: That was a wise-as*ed comment undeserved by the effect or by the inventer. I retract it and apologize...

I REALLY have to wait a day before posting negs on anything...I hate eating my words, especially in areas that are not mine to opinionate upon.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
Quote:
On 2005-01-19 11:20, Tom Jorgenson wrote:

Regarding the Grocery Store thing being a waste of digital space: That was a wise-as*ed comment undeserved by the effect or by the inventer. I retract it and apologize...

I REALLY have to wait a day before posting negs on anything...I hate eating my words, especially in areas that are not mine to opinionate upon.

What a gentleman!

THAT'S how you do it! Well done sir. Nice to see that sombody still has humility and integrity out there. A lesser person would have said nothing...respect due!
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
529 Posts

Profile of sludge
Experienced mentalists will likely find no new method in Hollywood or Bust (I know for a fact that the method has been in use for years), but the specific routine is written up quite nicely. The premise/method however is very useful, devious and adaptable. I haven't had time to read the rest of the book yet.
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Socrates
Do they write the name of one of the main actors from the film?
markiquark
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of markiquark
WELL, so far I was not able to find the cheetah's handbook on the website of underground. there seem to be only 7 products total? thanks, mark
If you are going to Puerto Vallarta on your acations, let me know and write me a PM. I am interested in meeting magicians.
cardiac
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, U.K.
250 Posts

Profile of cardiac
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
If you click on the link, you get "No Product Found".

I wouldn't mind if they sold "Hollywood or Bust" as a seperate e-book at a slightly reduced price. I heard (although I may have heard wrong) that the rest of the stuff in the handbook is pretty much unrelated to mentalism.
cardiac
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, U.K.
250 Posts

Profile of cardiac
Have you tried emailing them ?
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
You mean they’d sell it separately???

You bet I’ll email them…

I’ll contact them on Sunday.

Thanks,

Elliott
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Quote:
On 2005-01-15 11:48, Tom Lauten wrote:
This is the strongest routine I do.

In the right atmosphere and with the right film I have had people, scream, cry and stand in open mouthed amazement...brilliant work by Clolin Miller...but it must be done well!

I can readily understand why this effect would evoke such powerful responses in those you perform it for. After all, dealing with something such as a movies -- and don't most of us have very strongly held, "personal" feelings about movies, especially those that are our favorites? -- can really "touch people where they live" in a way that naming a playing card they arbitrarily chose a moment ago could never do.
In my opinion mentalism would receive a boost if more performers used elements such as movies and other things that, while "intangible," nonetheless can move an effect from the "what a clever trick that was!" category to another plane in which the participant and audience get a chill up their collective spines from the effect.
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
markiquark
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of markiquark
I write PMs to Miller and Badman, no replies from them in a few days now. I think the handbook was a limited edition and is not for sale anymore.
If you are going to Puerto Vallarta on your acations, let me know and write me a PM. I am interested in meeting magicians.
cardiac
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, U.K.
250 Posts

Profile of cardiac
Hollywood or bust is described in the companion DVD that ships with the new Assassin wallet. Hey it's £99 for the effect and you get a free wallet thrown in Smile

As described on the DVD, it's a very strong effect - it has that extra something which lifts it above similar effects IMHO.
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
The routine was also reproduced (with Anthony Miller's permission) in the instruction booklet that came with Peter Nardi's Mind Spy wallet. Peter performed this on me years ago at the Blackpool magic convention so I can testify to it's effect.

I look forward to being able to do this with my Assassin wallet (when it arrives), but in some ways using the Mind Spy may be better suited, as you can actually "draw" the answer i.e. something iconic from the scene the spectator is thinking of.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3422 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Hollywood or Bust with the Stealth Assassin also fooled me BIG time.

The SA is top notch and the included dvd's are as well, I did not expect for such great routines to be included. There were 2 which fooled me even though I was holding the wallet and knew how it works.

-J
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Hollywood or bust? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL