The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Egg bag holdout (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MichaelCarolina
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
18 Posts

Profile of MichaelCarolina
This past Christmas I received a complete Egg Bag set from Fabric Manipulations... it's a great set... I practice when I can and hope to have a routine before long... what I don't understand is the use of the Egg bag holdout that came with the bag, the egg, etc. Essentially this "holdout" is a bag without any gimmick to it... same size, color as original. I have an idea for its use but want to know what more experienced egg bag performers think it is for. Your comments are welcome.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Sounds to me like a way to "guild the lily".
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Check Magic at the Tom Foolery. He does the egg bag and the use of the "holdout bag" is shown in action and I am willing to bet that no one will catch its use on the first viewing. Mullica is a genius behind the bar.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
I spent a lot of time at The Tom Foolery when it was in operation in Atlanta. You're absolutely right, Tom is an absolute genius. That was a great place to visit. When he produced the full glass of wine from the egg bag the audience would go nuts. I know I did the first time I saw him do that.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-01-15 18:44, MichaelCarolina wrote:
This past Christmas I received a complete Egg Bag set from Fabric Manipulations... it's a great set... I practice when I can and hope to have a routine before long... what I don't understand is the use of the Egg bag holdout that came with the bag, the egg, etc. Essentially this "holdout" is a bag without any gimmick to it... same size, color as original. I have an idea for its use but want to know what more experienced egg bag performers think it is for. Your comments are welcome.

Never heard of an egg bag hold out. Did you ask the dealer what it was for?
MichaelCarolina
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
18 Posts

Never heard of an egg bag hold out. Did you ask the dealer what it was for?

No-- did not contact the dealer... I probably should, but I wanted to hear from some performers, first. I'm interested in getting the Tom Foolery video, but would like to get DVD if possible... VHS is almost out of date now.

BTW, I was born in Fort Wayne... loved visiting Stoners Magic Shop in the early 70s... got some great effects that I still have... fraidy 'cat rabbit, spikes through balloon... as a kid, I loved anything colorful... brings back a lot of memories.

Michael Carolina
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
In the context of the Mullica routine a second bag makes sense. But, the holdout only makes sense for walkaround work, unless I'm missing something.
Lynetta
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
111 Posts

Profile of Lynetta
Hello,

The holdout bag is quite often tossed out so that the "bag" can be examined and then the bags are switched for the actual routine. Some magicians "accidently" leave the holdout bag behind; since the holdout is not gimmicked in any way, it can be completely examined.

All in all, a holdout bag is a bag that is identical to the egg bag, but it is not gimmicked. It's purpose is to allow for examination of the bag. However, some performers switch for the holdout at the end of their routine in order to produce something other than an egg from it.

Please note that I do not every "guild the lily." I sell holdout bags because I receive many requests for them.

I hope this information has helped you out. If not, please feel free to contact me for further assistance.

Lynetta Welch
1-702-242-6558
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:

Lynetta wrote: Please note that I do not every "guild the lily."

What is guilding the lilly???

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

Lynetta
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
111 Posts

Profile of Lynetta
Quote:
On 2005-01-17 18:13, tabman wrote:
Quote:

Lynetta wrote: Please note that I do not ever "guild the lily."

What is guilding the lilly???

-=tabman

"Guilding the lily" is adding worthless fluff to a product in an effort to give the impression that you are receiving more than you are, thus enabling the item to be sold at a higher price. Something I do not do.

Lynetta
Lynetta@FabricManipulation.com
http://www.FabricManipulation.com
MichaelCarolina
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
18 Posts

Dear Café mates, especially Lynetta,

Thanks so much for all the posts... they have been very informative.

I love the bag I received. It is high quality, and I look forward to performing with it when I feel comfortable... I also like the holdout, and the remarks I have heard here give me some good ideas for a routine.

I did not take the "guild the lilly" remark offered by Alan as a criticism of the dealer, but I can see why it might be interpreted in that fashion. I guess the phrase "holdout" confused me a bit, but that's all been cleared up now.

For what it is worth, I think Lynetta's product is excellent, and anyone who has not visited her web site... well... check it out. http://www.fabricmanipulations.com

You won't find any worthless fluff, I can assure you.

Michael Carolina
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
Lynetta explained: "Guilding the lily" is adding worthless fluff to a product in an effort to give the impression that you are receiving more than you are, thus enabling the item to be sold at a higher price.

Thanks, I wasn't sure what it meant but I had heard it before. Sounds like an antique expression.

I wonder where it came from???? Any ideas??? I guess from the days of yore when there were craft guilds??? I wonder what the lily part means???

-=tabman

Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2005-01-18 14:19, tabman wrote:
Thanks, I wasn't sure what it meant but I had heard it before. Sounds like an antique expression.

I wonder where it came from???? Any ideas??? I guess from the days of yore when there were craft guilds??? I wonder what the lily part means???

-=tabman

“Days of yore”? “Craft Guilds”? Good grief; you guys need to expand your enlightenment beyond just books about magic Smile

GILD (as opposed to "guild") means to cover an object with a layer of precious metal, usually gold and usually in a very thin layer - known as "gold leaf", a craft I have studied at length. This process has historically been used to make lesser-valued objects or inexpensive material (wood, ceramic, etc.) seem to have a higher value by creating richer or more beautiful appearance.

Traditionally the lily is considered one of the most beautiful and/or sacred flowers (think Georgia O’Keeffe); such a flower would have no need for artificial embellishment in an attempt to make it even more beautiful.

Hence the saying "gilding the lily", meaning adding unnecessary and ineffective embellishment to an already excellent item.

Oh, by the way, there are still plenty of craft guilds flourishing today.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
Thomas Wayne tells us: GILD (as opposed to "guild") means to cover an object with a layer of precious metal, usually gold and usually in a very thin layer - known as "gold leaf", a craft I have studied at length.

I think most of us actually knew that it should have been "gild" as opposed to "guild" but, like me, were waiting for someone else to point it out!!! Smile I'm sure you knew that Elvis actually had a grand piano covered with gold leaf in his music room downstairs too.

-=tabman

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
In Shakespeare's King John, the king has a second coronation to try to reinforce his position. A line by Lord Salisbury discussing the king's actions goes, "...to be possess'd with double pomp, To guard a title that was rich before, To gild refined gold, to paint the lily..."

I believe this is the origin of the phrase, although the exact words "gild the lily" did not seem to appear until the early 1900s.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Harry, you are the man. Thank you so much!!! Days of yore, indeed.

-=tabman

Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2005-01-19 12:14, tabman wrote:
I think most of us actually knew that it should have been "gild" as opposed to "guild" but, like me, were waiting for someone else to point it out!!! Smile I'm sure you knew that Elvis actually had a grand piano covered with gold leaf in his music room downstairs too.

-=tabman

The disproportionate ratio of questions marks to questions in your earlier post lead me to believe you were sincere in your proclaimed misunderstanding of the phrase; sorry if that wasn't the case.

Your "days of yore" reference, however, was directly regarding "craft guilds", and I thought you might like to know that there are many such guilds alive and well in the present time.

As mentioned above, the "lily part" is about a flower.

And, finally, I thought Liberace was the one with the gold-leafed piano...

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
MichaelCarolina
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
18 Posts

Well, this post has come a long way from egg bag discussion... but fascinating, nevertheless. It's good to know the Café offers literary education as well as magical instruction.

Thanks again for all posts.

Michael Carolina
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
Thomas Wayne revealed: And, finally, I thought Liberace was the one with the gold-leafed piano...

Sorry hoss, you got me there. I'm more of an Elvis guy than a Liberace type.

-=tabman

Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-01-19 15:42, MichaelCarolina wrote:
Well, this post has come a long way from egg bag discussion... but fascinating, nevertheless. It's good to know the Café offers literary education as well as magical instruction.

Thanks again for all posts.

Michael Carolina

You bet!! And no one would ever accuse Café members of guilding the lily by going off-topic. (grin) This has been a fascinating discussion on the origin of words and phrases.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Egg bag holdout (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL