The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dees anybody know the effect: Locked Book of Dark Secrets (by Michael Diamond) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Has anybody heard of this effect? It´s basically a book with a lock and 5 keys. A story is told about a spell, that only the magician can open this book. He then demonstrates this. After this demonstration, the keys are mixed and 4 spectators choose their key. They try to open the lock, but they can´t. Only the last key, the one that was left for the magician, can open the lock. This can be repeated.

http://www.dragonskull.co.uk/locked_book.htm

Is it worth buying? Costs 50 pounds!

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
btaxin
View Profile
Regular user
san francisco
152 Posts

Profile of btaxin
Calexa-

I'm not familiar with this effect, but it sure sounds like a variation on "7 Keys to Baldpate", "Key-R-Rect" and similar locked bank night routines. This is going to sound trite because I'm sure you've heard it many times, but if you will use this prop in your professional show, it's well worth it. However, there are many other less expensive similar routines, some with gaffed locks and some without.

Bob Taxin
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
@ Bob Taxin:

Can you tell me more about this "less expensive similar routines"? I was also thinking that it should be possible to build a book like this on my own. The only things that I need is a "trick lock" and a book that comes already with a lock. Than I just replace the lock with the trick lock....

Magixx
Victor
View Profile
New user
belgique
5 Posts

Profile of Victor
You'll find the effect p°287 in "Mind, Myth and Magick"!
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Thanks a lot. Now I need that book.....

Magixx
btaxin
View Profile
Regular user
san francisco
152 Posts

Profile of btaxin
Calexa-

Check out Danny Archer's lecture notes. "Still Working Alone" and Mark Strivings' "Mobile Mentalism II" for two routines. By the way, neither requires a gaffed lock.
Bob Taxin
Victor
View Profile
New user
belgique
5 Posts

Profile of Victor
Attention: T.A. Waters offers an idea, only the effect, not the method. It's up to you, I'm sure you'll find yours.
Mark Strivings
View Profile
V.I.P.
290 Posts

Profile of Mark Strivings
Hi guys,

I own one of the Black Books and can tell you that it is very cool, a wonderful idea and very well made. While I won't tip the method, I can tell you that it is nothing like what you might expect, method-wise. I was very pleased and surprised when I got mine and saw how it worked. Very low tech and very cool.

I can tell you this, if you are considering obtaining this, be sure you have some use in mind for the book itself. Otherwise there is no reason to use it or do it in performance. The pages of the book are blank and need to be filled in with whatever nefarious uses you might have for it. You could simply fill it in with spells and sigils and the like, but that seems to be wasting a good opportunity. Obviously you could do effects with the writing in the book, so be thinking of that if you should decide to purchase. My opinion is that it is well worth the asking price.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Mark Strivings is the owner of the largest all-mentalism mail order supply business in the world, "Mental Connections", carrying materials not available anywhere else. For complete info, drop Mark a line at MarkyApril@aol.com
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Thank you very much!

Can you tell me something - I hope your answer would not expose the method: do I have to switch the keys in the way that I show some keys and palm the only key that fits into my hand? Or is the method in the lock?

Today I got the "Locked Book" and I can agree with what Mark Strivings said: the book has a good quality, and the idea behind the trick is very clever. I will post a review in the next days.

The review is here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......09&0

Magixx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dees anybody know the effect: Locked Book of Dark Secrets (by Michael Diamond) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL