The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Armchair Mentalist question? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

silversin
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of silversin
What exactly does the term,” Armchair Mentalist" mean? Is it some one who just reads effects and never performs or is it small time performers?

Alex
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1042 Posts

Profile of sbays
Your first comment would be correct I think. Someone who is familiar with all of the techniques, has read all of the literature, but has not/does not actually get out there and perform for real people. Knowing the material and knowing how to present the material for real people are two totally different things.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Interesting take sbays.Btw we're neighbors,I'm in the san fernando valley.
I would tend to think that an arm-chair performer mentalism or magic is one who does know how to perform in front of people but does not do it professionally.

Rick
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Dr Jim
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Dr Jim
My vote goes to sbays take. Much like an armchair quarterback. Knows just how it should be done but just sits in his /her chair and talks or complains.

Jim
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1042 Posts

Profile of sbays
Quote:
On 2005-01-16 22:19, Myster wrote:
Interesting take sbays.Btw we're neighbors,I'm in the san fernando valley.
I would tend to think that an arm-chair performer mentalism or magic is one who does know how to perform in front of people but does not do it professionally.

Rick

Nice to meet you Rick. Smile

I think the only difference between someone who perfoms professinally and one who does not is simply the cash. I know many performers who do not do this for a living, that get out there and perform for folks all the time, just for the fun of it.

The armchair "Performer" is one who does just what it sounds like ... sits there and tells the rest of us how and what we should be doing, with out having any real performances under their belt. Well, that's how I see it anyways!

Peace!
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
I think you guys are right. I mis-interpreted the question. I was comparing hobbiest and pros.
There are many hobbiest that are as good as many pros when it comes to performing. Hint hint...
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
silversin
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of silversin
If any one was wondering why I was asking, it is to do with my hearing the term thrown around allot here. Some times I hear it being directed at armatures some times it seems to be directed at secret hunters and at other times it seems to be used as an insult.
I have no idea exactly it's meaning so I was trying to find out if a common definition existed.

Thank you all.
Alex
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Read armchair like back seat driver! Lots of lame advice no action!
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
Hey...I had a backseat driver save my life LOL...

JE
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
In that I'm one of the key people here (and throughout much of the Virtual magic world) that uses this term I will tell you very directly that YOU'RE RIGHT! But let me refine my position a bit.

There are dozens if not hundreds of book read individuals out there who "know their place" and don't try to exercise their egos to the level of saying "I can do that better" or "my version of that trick is better" etc. when watching someone (anyone) work. There are those who leave significant room for the opinion and perspective of others et al. Unfortunately, there are a great score of those that fit this same niche who believe they are the last word and givers of the Gospel when it comes to this or that subject within magic. Most of these shmucks haven't performed more than a dozen shows in the course of their life let alone had any kind of hands on experience when it comes to things like effect design, magic history, transport, marketing, psychic/paranormal research & investigation and so forth. Yet, they will argue til they are blue in the face that whomever they are debating with is wrong and they are right... no matter what.

I've been attacked a great deal by these "questionable" individuals, some of whom fall into the category of being "E-leberties" (see my article @ VISIONS by the same title -- long story short, they're NO BODIES that have gained name recognition via the web and that's about it.) Unfortunate for them, they haven't the background nor the experience to support where they're coming from. When it comes to issues surrounding the whole Psychic & Spook thing... well, I do have a bit more of a resume' than most. Including nearly being killed a couple of times as the result of my "Cult" investigations and expose' activities. For this reason I feel I've earned the right to refer to the plethora of wannabes out there as being nothing other than "Armchair Experts"... not to be self-endulgent but they can't approach my background, I know that and I get a bit sick and tired of being condemned by such arrogant fools. Granted, I should take the higher road and not go toe to toe with such (and the gods know, I do much less of that kind of thing today than I used to)but, my dang Irish temper does get the better of me from time to time... pardon!

Like the PC world you will find "experts" (self-professed in most cases) within just about every aspect of magic. The thing YOU must learn to do is look at who is speaking, the kind of information they are sharing and too, the validity given that person via others as well as what they've given back to the craft at both, promoted and even negated (or questionable)levels.

You will find that most of the real "Experts" in this business have one or two areas of prime expertice and maybe one or two areas of "lesser" but above average understanding. For me that happens to be Major Stage Illusions (Theater) and of course Mentalism. In that my work as an Illusionist always seemed to envelope the Macabre I've earned my chops in the Bizarre Magick genre as well. Too, my association with historian/innovator Kirk Kirkham and noted designers like Franz Harary and the late Ken Whitaker lend to me some added kudos.

Mind you, I do not say these things for the sake of personal boast. Rather, to lend to those reading some examples and perspective by which they can better discern the "advice" and "perspectives" shared by others that may just happen to fit that armchair expert role better than the mantel of genuine adept to the craft.

Pardon the lengthy explanation but I do hope it helps shine some light on the issue.
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
Maybe completely irrelevant, but I'm pretty sure there is a Phil goldstein effect in an early Apocalypse called Armchair Mentalist....
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Quote:
On 2005-01-20 14:52, El Mystico wrote:
Maybe completely irrelevant, but I'm pretty sure there is a Phil goldstein effect in an early Apocalypse called Armchair Mentalist....

It is "Armchair Bowler" and may be found in the soon-to-be-released "Prism."

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
'Armchair' people are big on theory and not in practice
They are not necessarily amateurs but quite often earn more tnan people who do the 'work'
Cheers
TJ
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I too am an armchair expert. Just ask our defender of the art. lol

Seriously though, who cares what we are called. THe secret and the advacement of the art is whats key. Leave the keyboards for one weekend and perform! Bring some mystery nack into the world.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Amen
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Well I'm definately an armchair mentalist at the moment.i have read eveything I can get my hands on for the last two years of being into mind magic/mentalism.not wanting to copy or be anyone else.ive spent that time working out my own personality for performance and routines .Two of which I like to say are very unique.another two are my handling of others materials.so that's what ive done so far.apart from performing for my wife ahem <didnt mean that naughty>.so I'm an armchair mentalist whos trying to build up a porfolio of effects hopefully unique or my interpretations of them.as a famous mentalist said there is no place for a amature mentalist unlike in magic you have to be 100% proffesional.till then ill be the homer simpson of mental magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Armchair Mentalist question? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL