The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Where do the Non-Professional Guys Perform?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1045 Posts

Profile of sbays
Another post made me think about this. Where do those of you who do not do this for a living go to perform? Just for family and friends? Or do you actually go out and find people to perform for?

I saw somewhere recently that a mentalist offered a pin that said something like, "You can read my mind ... ask me how." Pretty clever if you want to be approached when you are out in public. Its a great way to get the conversation started regarding mentalism. Great for standing lin line at the movies etc. hehe
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I am a professional but I also perform casually in many places.

I know of a couple of non-professionals in my area that perform at parties they go to, clubs and bars they attend, restaurants where they eat, whenever they get a chance to do it, really, and people love it.

If you think about it for a moment, there are probably a fewy opportunities every day that allow you to inject a little mystery into the lives of people around you.
art the magic guy!
View Profile
Regular user
back in the USA, FINALLY!!
159 Posts

Profile of art the magic guy!
I'm not a 100% pro mentalist ( it's not my main source of income) and I perform at various venues--

I do mostly Small parties, after dinner shows at private houses, and some college psychology classes had me as a guest --guess that as long as in the same subject the professors felt it was ok to goof off for a few hours---

What gets me this oportunities is actually going to the malls, shops and out in the hangouts there and performing a few effects to the bored sales persons out there and shoppers and handing out my business card. it's a great way to spend Friday night instead of cluched down in the computer Smile

I always go to the Senior centers and to the hospital to visit and do a small "strolling show" for the elderly and others ( I can do kids magic tricks also). Not only does this give a smile to people that are in need of it, it gets your name out there and people will remember you----

BTW I like that idea of the pin. I was thinking of printing a t-shirt with something provocative like that----anyone out there has any suggestions as to what prhase sounds catchy?
I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER
I will ALWAYS place the mission first
I will NEVER accept defeat
I will NEVER quit
I will NEVER leave a fallen comrade
----I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER----
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2005-01-16 23:25, sbays wrote:
Another post made me think about this. Where do those of you who do not do this for a living go to perform? Just for family and friends? Or do you actually go out and find people to perform for?

I saw somewhere recently that a mentalist offered a pin that said something like, "You can read my mind ... ask me how." Pretty clever if you want to be approached when you are out in public. Its a great way to get the conversation started regarding mentalism. Great for standing lin line at the movies etc. hehe

I guess that many of us perform exactly as where the professionals do, but not so often.
I have a busy full time daytime job and the main reason for performing, is for the pure fun of it. That doesn't mean that I don't charge my clients, - what I get out of performing is IMO more than satisfying, and cover my expences for this wonderful hobby many times.
My clients are around 90% corporations, my audiences vary from 25-30 up to around 200, and I did 23 performances in 2004.
The largest audience I had last year, was 250.

Sven
hemisphere
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
39 Posts

Profile of hemisphere
If you're looking for performance experience, you might also look for open mike nights, or improv/comedy clubs. They provide you with audiences that are not friends and family and give you experience with "real world" situations. The best part about these venues are that you aren't under any obligation to be "good" so you can test out material, see what works, and work out timing. Worst case, you just claim to be a comedy act.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I forgot to add in my post, that I also do rather many non paid performances, like in hospitals and senior centers.
That gives me opportunities to practice before a real audience, and to do some good deeds

Sven
art the magic guy!
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

It's my understanding that Jay Sankey attempted to do some magic on his early years in a comedy club and it bombed out.

that and the fact that people go there to laught at someone or something---- it will be the same as if an opera singer performed at a Heavy metal concert....it just doesn't belong there

So....Not sure a comedy club is a viable venue for a mentalism act---- maybe is just me......
I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER
I will NEVER quit
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Art, if your mentalism is comical and involved then perhaps it would go down well in a comedy club. I kow a few people who work the comedy scene in the UK and they are magicians, and perform magic and mindreding during their sets.

I don't wish to go out on a rant, or want to seem to be attacking anyone but this is my view on the subject:

if I was to sit down and say to msyelf "i will never perofrm close up, at a comedy club, where its too loud, for drunks etc etc" making all these stipulations then as far as I am concearned I am cutting off my potential market.

I can try my best to create he ideal situations for mentalism but I still have to perform those rough and ready shows in order to earn my living.

Of course if I was a big name, higher paid guy then perhaps I could afford to be more choosy. However would greed not get the better of me and still force me to take those bookings for £350 at the local social club?

Best,

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
These postings here provide a good source of help for everyone who wants to get started in magic.

Thanks, Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
art the magic guy!
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

MR kennedy---

I agree with you 110% on the subject that business is business regardless of the place and situation.

the original thread was asking non pros where they perform. I felt that as someone that does not depend on it to pay the rent, it's just not a place they should do it. drunks hecklers and an easy perturbed audience is not something one will want to tackle on their first tries.

and also, I know that a lot of people do magic on the comedy scenes, one of my pals is a comedy magician, but his act is 3/4 comedy 1/4 magic, and he melts the magic with the comedy in a way that I would not call it a "magic show" per se ( most of the magic comedy acts are not entirely magic related). doing gigs like this one take some serious acting and comedy skills, something that the average non pro in search of some experience will not have a lot of.

again, this are just my opinions. to each his own Smile
I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER
I will NEVER quit
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Art, No worries, take it easy. I was not having a go, just airing my thoughts mate.

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
art the magic guy!
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

BTW kennedy, I heard you are coming out with a book, any ideas as to publishing dates? would like to get a signed copy Smile
I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER
I will NEVER quit
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Now now, sarcasm doesn't suit you Art. lol.

Dates are still blurry, i'v asked people to look at a copy or two and awat their judgement before releasing as I don't want to release anything that is rubbish. So if they say its good then I shall release it, if they say its as useful as a 7th Sense for table hopping Smile then I shant

Kennedy

scotty76
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of scotty76
I run an entertainment business I normally get booked to DJ at Weddings and Parties this gives me an audience to try stuff out on rather than my g/f who would rather be buying shoes than watching me !
hemisphere
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
39 Posts

Profile of hemisphere
Building on a comment above...I learned a lot about performing for "real people" working restaurants. Whether as a magician or a mentalist, you'll bump into all types of people in relatively safe environments and small numbers. Getting booked to perform at a restaurant is different than performing for friends at a restaurant of course...as you need to structure routines with beginnings and ends (vs performing for friends where some are inclined to do odds and ends).

In restaurants I learned through trial and error a lot about how to handle the drunk guy, the jerk, the under impressed, the "revealer", deaf audiences, foreign language audiences and how to recover from screw ups.
Jon Beetham
View Profile
New user
Newcastle
71 Posts

Profile of Jon Beetham
I used to be a full time pro but now teach, I still perform ina non professional capacity for numerous charities, hospitals and a couple of schools (6th form and up)..
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
819 Posts

Profile of e-man
In front of a mirror in the closet.
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Last summer I ran a small comedy club. I would work the crowd 'walk around' before the show. Great way to get the crowd in the mood. Perhaps there is a club in your area that you could approach.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Where do the Non-Professional Guys Perform?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL