The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Prediction Effect with Matches (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt Morell
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, CT.
248 Posts

Profile of Matt Morell
Hey Folks,

Does anybody know if such an effect/method is already in print somewhere?

Basic effect: An old used matchbook -(standard small size) is shown closed and is stated that a new one contains 20 matches but this one has been used already a number of times and contains somewhat less than 20.The spectator is asked for a number less than than 20 and it just happens to be the same amount that's in the matchbook when opened.

I'm kind of hoping to find a version that doesn't resort to forcing a number or much verbal eqivoque but something more on the lines of a gimmicked matchbook, mechanical method, etc.If not, then could someone point me in the right direction for forcing a required number of matches from the book and making it look as best as possible.

I'm sure you could have 19 matchbooks on you for the outs , retrieve the correct one and switch it out!!! haha but obviously that's a tad bit rediculous.

Could a gimmicked matchbook version be feasible or is this asking for an act of God miracle?

Any advice or information/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Nice concept. I haven't seen anything like this before. You have indeed got my mental juices flowing....hhmmmm

A quick brainstorm....

I know you are thinking along the lines of a gimmick, but my first experiment would be to find out how often a particular number would be named, when asked to name a number between 1 and 20. That would be a good starting point. If there is a number which is more likely to be named, start with a book with that many. This way you could have a direct hit.

Other options may be a "A matchbook index"

Or what if after the number was named, you open the book, (toward yourself) count, rip them out....this would allow for a switch or adding or subtracting matches.

Don't most books have 2 layers of matches. One could not be attached via the staple again allowing for its removal.

These where just my first thoughts. Hoped I helped you to get your juices flowing as you have mine.

Regards.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Could you not do something on the lines of Jackpot Coins/The TRick That Fooled Einstein?

Just a thought,

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2027 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Also you could make it ambiguous whether the number they name is the number missing or the number left.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
"I'm sure you could have 19 matchbooks on you for the outs , retrieve the correct one and switch it out!!! haha but obviously that's a tad bit rediculous."

Maybe not so rediculous if you have a subtle way of limiting the choice.

One way to limit the range is to have a spectator hold out fingers on each hand. You count the fingers and then you can ask, or not, to have them hold out additional hands. A hand can count for at most 5 (including the thumb) so you would need no more than 5 outs.

Just realized this is the Penny area and not the Inner Thoughts area so moderators may move this post/thread.

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
Matt Morell
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, CT.
248 Posts

Profile of Matt Morell
Hey Guys, Thanks so much for your ideas so far!
Greatly appreciated!

I'll experiment with what was posted so far and look up " The Trick that fooled Einstein" Forgot about that. I have the book.

Best,
Matt
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Jay Sankey has a mentalist effect with a book of matches. Spectator pulls one match out without looking and it's the only one the performer had earlier blackened with a marker.
You can do Dave DeForest [sp?]'s "Ripped and Repaired" with a matchbook. It's a torn and restored card effect easily adapted to the thin cardboard matchbook.
fib
D.Paul
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of D.Paul
You could hand them the box of matches and ask them to remove as many matches as they want. Once they have counted them out, Pw the number then fold the paper up finger palm it reach into your jacket pocket and load the paper into a open match box. Remove the match box and tell them you have the same amount of matches in this match box (have a full box of match on your wrist with an elastic band) shake it so it sounds like you have matches in it then hand them the match box when they open it the matches have vanised and there is a piece of paper with the prediction on it.

Just a thought
D.Paul
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
D. Paul,
Oh, how I like that!
Nicholas
ralphgironda
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Derren brown has mentioned this in his pure effect book....check it out Smile
Matt Morell
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, CT.
248 Posts

Profile of Matt Morell
Jeese, D. Paul ! That's sweet!!

Ralph,
Is there an actual routine in Derren's book or does he just kind of " touch " on the subject.

Matt
ralphgironda
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Briefly talks about the routine, but you should probably check it out
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Prediction Effect with Matches (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL