The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk through mirror (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shahriar2403
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of shahriar2403
Please, can anybody give me any idea about silk through mirror effect? I had seen it on TV but did not get any idea. Do I have to use any special mirror for this? Give me any idea! Either pm me. Please!
Everythin in this world should be explanable!
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
I believe Zandu puts a mirror out that will accomplish this effect. Sponges can also be passed through the mirror.

j.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Try it with flowers. Nobody believes it!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
This is basically the old “Pencil thru Card” trick that used to come with every kid’s magic set. The first time I saw it performed (jumbo-stage-size) I knew what was happening. I went home and built my own version (no wooden cross pieces to hide the working).

I love the flower idea! I’ll give it a try. I have pushed handkerchiefs and a tennis ball thru (OK, it was a Finn Jon tennis ball!).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dave Cressey a mouth coil dealer, may have a Zanadu model left. Contact him. The only other that were available were very expensive. In the hundreds of dollars range. The Zanadu was a nice large prop made in plastic. He also had a smaller version.

Zanadu is out of business, but I saw Cressey at a convention and he had a couple left. I think he wanted $75 for the large version.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I like the flowers idea also....for obvious reasons.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Richard,

I can't believe that you would like tricks using flowers!

Harry,

Good to see you posting on The Café. I haven't seen you in a while.

I started doing the flower through the mirror in hotel and country club ballroom type shows. The shows are in the flat, rather informal but usually elegant, and the real flowers are already there! Then you can give the flower to a guest. (They nearly never leave them on the table when they leave. After all, it's a magic flower. Their magic flower!)

Use it!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
340 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
For the record, Howie Schwarztman originally did this effect and marketed it. It was more automatic (and expensive) than the Zanadu model. But, the silk vanishing into the mirror as if grabbed by an unseen hand is positively spooky. I know the same can be done with r**l, but not with the same smoothness. Hank Lee bought the rights from Howie and it goes for 550. I count it a prvilege to know Mr. Schwartman but have no financial interests in his affairs or with Hank Lee's.
David
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Howie Schwartzman did not invent the trick nor did he manufacture it. He basically ran across it on one of his many trips and distributed it for the guy building it. It was a very expensive model with a mechanical feature that allowed you to walk away from the mirror and have the hank still melt, slowly, through it. It was a nice addition to the trick. The trick itself had been around in a couple of different incarnations for decades. There was even a stage version that included a woman passing through the mirror being performed back in the 1920’s.

Hank Lee sold a version that was way different than the Schwartzman or Zanadu models. It was a single round mirror on a modern (almost Art-Deco) stand. It handled much easier than Zanadu or Schwartzman versions. It was beautiful and very deceptive.

Hank Lee may have carried Schwartzman’s version however I doubt it since Howie liked to have “exclusives”. That is he carried and sold items for “professionals” that other dealers could not easily get.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Harry is right again! Here is the address to Hank Lee's version. It is not $550, but only $245.

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/customer/pr......p;page=2

Looks more deceiving then the Zanadu model, again it is only $75 from Cressey.
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
340 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
Hank Lee's does carry it, it is 550. Here is the web address. Harry and William, easy mistake to make.
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/customer/se......wartzman
David
Posted: Jan 26, 2005 9:52pm
---------------------------------------------------------
I noticed that suddenly the conversation stopped. Harry, William, no comments?
David
kristel
View Profile
New user
Quebec, Canada
87 Posts

Profile of kristel
A friend of mine start the effect with a feather in the hand. He passes the feather over the mirror to produce a 6-foot feather boa from that mirror. The effect is unbelievable and awsome. Give it a try.

Andre Le Magicien
Quebec Canada
Excuse my french...
Andre Le Magicien
Quebec Canada
Excuse my French...
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Many of the same effects are possible with the cheaper Dove Through Glass. (Please put a better paint job on them!)

It works in February for Mardi Gras beads too!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
houdini
View Profile
Loyal user
N.E. Kansas
203 Posts

Profile of houdini
Do you reproduce the silk once it penetrates the mirror? I have the Zanado version. Just wondering what others do after the silk goes through the mirror.
Jim. Thats me on the left,Everyone should know the other guy!
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2005-01-17 23:32, shahriar2403 wrote:
Please, can anybody give me any idea about silk through mirror effect? I had seen it on TV but did not get any idea. Do I have to use any special mirror for this? Give me any idea! Either pm me. Please!

Is this post for real? Sounds a bit dodgy to me!
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
260 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
Howie did give Hank the go ahead to sell the mirrors. Howie did not invent it but got the rights to sell it here in the states. He even lent his mirror to Doug Henning who did it on several news and TV show appearances. Doug did it with sponge balls, and then a silk. This mirror can even be fully inspected by the audience before all of the magic happens. This is not possible with most of the other models. The mechanical works are top notch. In this world of magic that we play in always remember you get what you pay for. Strive for the best and original props and you will rarely have to replace them.

Puck
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk through mirror (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL