The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Boy Scout Routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gvmeihoff
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of gvmeihoff
I am doing a Blue and Gold dinner soon and would like any suggestions on routines for Boy Scouts. Any suggestions on tricks or routines would be helpful.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I have a "Forgetful Freddie" type prop that is designed as a uniformed Cub Scout.
This was sold by Ireland's/Magic Inc. in Chicago a long time ago. PM me if you'd like to add it to your show. Smile
KV Magic
View Profile
New user
Missouri
58 Posts

Profile of KV Magic
"Square" Knot and Cut and Restored neckerchief work well.

Keith
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Just curious, is this a free show? I'm getting more and more request for free shows lately (various youth organizations).
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
Candini,

They may try to get a show free by shopping around, then when they 'give up' they just choose the lowest price.

Hope I did not offend anyone with my statement, but this has been my experience with many organizations.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Almost any effect can be changed into an effect that will work for Cub Scout blue and gold dinners. You only need to put on your creative thinking cap and adapt the effect through different change in the decoration of the prop, etc., or in different use of patter or a combination of both.

This goes back to the main idea that kids (and even most folks) appreciate the journey that you taker them on much more then the actual effect itself. If you isolate the effect then you can keep the effect but change the journey to better suit the market your presenting to.

In this case your market is cub scouts. Learn all you can about scouting and adapt from there. For example, think of all the items cub scouts wear or what they do. Being a scout myself growing up I can make a fast list off the top of my head. You might come up with items such as:

- Ropes and Knots
- Cub Scout Hat
- Cub Neckerchief
- Badges and pins
- Working together

etc.

From these ideas we can brainstorm and find similar magical effects that use items of a similar nature to what we have on our list. If we do this we can come up with central effects such as:

- Cut and restored knot
- 20th Century silks but using a cub neckerchief as the final one

Then we build upon the effect by making the journey more unique and fun through usage of patter and presentation. In the examples above, you could do 20th century silks with a patter of something like....

You knew a cub scout who was constantly forgetting that he always misplaced items. The handkerchief he misplaced one day (cause handkerchief to vanish). He thought it was no big deal but did not realize the importance of what that handkerchief means to scouting. Finally through teamwork of his scouts and working together.. his handkerchief was found again.

Now this is just a general idea off the top of my head. Certainly it could go in many directions or become comical etc. The ideas are limitless if you just apply the right thinking to it.

Hope this helps get creative juices flowing.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
The following factoids and suggestions might get your creative juices flowing:

* This years Blue and Gold theme is "A Scouting Celebration". That should be an easy theme for a magic show to fit into.

* If you want silence, hold up your right arm, (elbow not bent) and make a V with your index and middle finger. You might choose a volunteer who is quick to respond to this signal (and is dressed in uniform).

*When you bring up a cub volunteer, ask them their name, then their rank (Bobcat, Wolf, Bear, Webelo). You might even look at the number of arrows they have on their shirt and comment.

* Ask if the event is for Cubs anf Parents only, or if the entire family is coming as it might influence your show.

*The cub scout organization is modeled after Rudyard Kipling's book, "The Jungle Book." There might be some theme ideas in there for you.

* There will likely be awards passed out to cub scouts and leaders at this meeting. You might offer to help them call up the recipients (Change bag, dove pan, any production box, read the audience mind, have some fun here), then allow the leaders to pass out the awards with their ceremonies.

Have Fun. This is a fun (and energetic) group,

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Blue and Gold Banquets have been somewhat of a specialty for us over (at least) a decade.

2005 is the 75th Anniversary of Cub scouts and our phone is ringing off the hook. There is an unbelievable demand!

They are my favorite audience, full of energy and literally falling all over each other in laughter.

Be Silly and they will love you.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
gvmeihoff
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of gvmeihoff
Quote:
On 2005-01-18 06:41, Candini wrote:
Just curious, is this a free show? I'm getting more and more request for free shows lately (various youth organizations).

I am not being paid as my son is scout. I am volunteering my time.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Is it table magic?

Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Boy Scout Routines (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL