The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Oh god not the zombie!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Excaliber
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Excaliber
Ok here is my 2 cents worth . All Zombie balls and routines should be destroyed . It is by far the worst effect of all times. That is why they say oh god not the Zombie!. And the reason it is the worst ,is we have done it to ourselves . I think every person including me ( when I was 10 and got my 1st Zombie and dancing cane)

Every magician thinks they have to do a 20 minute routine with it. Give it a rest . I remember hearing Jeff McBride tell some people the same thing THat the routines were just to long ( he did not say he hated them ) . If you do these effects keep it very short.

I clearly remember the day 25 years ago ( when I was 11) when I sold my Zombie and dancing cane to another KId who just got into magic . It was the best day of my life . If you do these rouines in your act more power to you and by all means I have nothing against you . But remember the poor slobs in your audience that have to watch IT. Oh by the way did I say I HATE THE ZOMBIE AND DANCING CANE
rexgetz
View Profile
New user
Manhattan, Ks.
84 Posts

Profile of rexgetz
Neil Foster did one of the best zombie routines ever. Watch Dale Salwak perform his zombie and see the Foster influence. The zombie is not dead---it's just looking for the right performer with the right presentation.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
In my mind, the Zombie is a tool capable of infinite mystery, beauty, and creativity. Again, as in many areas of magic, the problem lies in confusing simple with easy.

-Ed
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
I like Zombie and Dancing Cane -> Because they are the Classic's!
It is very powerfull effect and Illusion...
You must make a little routine with the Zombie, like 3-5 min!
It's enough.
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Web: http://www.nicholaskin.com
n3cromanc3r
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of n3cromanc3r
I think the point of the post has been lost. But that's ok..there's been some good responses.
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
You Right N3CROMANC3R Smile
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Geez,

Some have never seen the effect, others have only seen bad performances, still others owned and disowned them and a rare few have seen the greats and perform it as a part of their act.

We could be talking about the linking rings, cups and balls or a slew of card tricks. People, we are all in the business of entertaining an audience. Presentation is what makes the difference between a great actor and a hack.

And after all, as Houdin sais, aren't we all actors pretending to be able to do the impossible? John Wayne did a lousy job as Genghis Khan, but was a fairly good Hollywood cowboy.

If the effect isn't you, don't perform it. You can't do much about the kids who pratice it for ten minutes and think they can amaze the world. The magic is in the performer, not the chrome ball...
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
Very good point djbilan.
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
vlance
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of vlance
I am a kid and I like the Zombie. I practice it often but never perform it yet. I love it so I don't want to ruin the effect. Not all kids are alike.
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
Yeah, you must perfected the effect and practice it very hard, pantomime makes it look more impossible and if you add some character in the ball, then this effect will look perfect!

I have the Zombie and I give a lot of time to it, to make my routine short and sweet!
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
n3cromanc3r
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of n3cromanc3r
Would you care to show us a video of it?
Magic Nathan
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Magic Nathan
Toall Zombie lovers,

A friend of mine includes a zombie routine in both his banquet act and his larger stage version of the floating ball. You can see videos of both on his video demo page at http://www.timothydrake.ca/video.html

Nathan
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
I will chek it out.
When I will make my vid. I will give you the link of mine Zombie Routine!
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I found all this discussion on the Zombie very interesting. I chose to perform it ( years ago ) based solely on the fact that I knew of no other magicians performing it. They all thought it was too common and over performed. WRONG! Most of my clients comment on the floating ball routine ( zombie ) . They tell me they have never seen it before. My success with it inspired me to move up to a Losander Table.

My only negative comment regards the effect would be the fact that most balls are two small. I like a larger ball. It gives the effect of moving slower and more gracefully. I made mine out of a DW floating ball.

Best Regards,

Timothy Drake
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1718 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Have done 2 shows in the last fortnight & at both shows I had lay audience people whom I did not Know comment on the Beautiful Floating Ball-How did I do That!!!!!!!-It was amazing to watch ...Looked so real!

I guess the real secret is Have a good Routine-Make it as Magical & fun as possible with good Music-Keep the routine short

Ignore what other Magicians say -Your audience reaction is all that matters!

My routine is exactly 1 min 40 secs-& that's probably too long!!

Tim Wright does a fabulous act with Zombie-Polished & Professional & very funny!!

Over the years Zombie has been overdone by people not prepared to put a routine together & after an hours practice -show it to the public!!

Cheers
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Friends of mine own a magic shop. I can't count the number of mothers who have come into the shop to purchase a " floating ball" effect so their 10 year old " who loves magic" can perform it as part of a school show in the next day or two. OH....and they'll take one of them thar ITRs as well.

Take your time and develop a routine!!!!!!!

The biggest secret to learning a Zombie routine is DON'T rehearse in front of a mirror in the beginning! You will not get the floating effect by looking in a mirror. Since YOU are controlling the ball your brain will not let go of that fact and it will not really look like the ball is in free float. ( its a hand eye co-ordination thing ) Video tape yourself doing the effect from the beginning and then look at the tape. You'll be surprised by the fact that it really appears to be floating . This will encourage you to carry on and perfect your effect. Then you can use the mirror!

Best Regards,

Timothy Drake
n3cromanc3r
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of n3cromanc3r
Quote:
On 2005-02-08 20:01, Timothy Drake wrote:
Friends of mine own a magic shop. I can't count the number of mothers who have come into the shop to purchase a " floating ball" effect so their 10 year old " who loves magic" can perform it as part of a school show in the next day or two. OH....and they'll take one of them thar ITRs as well.

I have asked one of my local shops and found basicly the same thing.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Timothy,

I have also recently customized a DW ball for the Zombie. I envision combining the two effects by starting out with the Zombie routine and then suddenly whipping away the cloth to show the ball floating in mid-air without any cover. I would then go into the DW routine. To do this, however, I need a smooth and convincing switch. Any ideas or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Kent
Edmonton,
Alberta
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Hello Kent,

Do you currently do a DW floating ball for stage? If so... the method you use would be crutial to the switch. If you use the Okito method you would have to be already hooked up before while you do Zombie. OR you could hook up quickly under the guise of letting the ball ( in zombie mode ) float down to your switch device, let go of the cloth, pick up a hoop to put over your neck and then reach down to refloat the zombie with the cloth and then remove it in mid flight.

I considered doing this years ago but with a slight difference. I planned on doing just this for a magic competition and having all the judges thinking ( zombie....yawn ) and then removing the cloth to catch them off guard.

I would do it a bit differently than whisking away the cloth. Consider this.....

Refloat the ball,( now okito ) have it balance once again on the edge of the cloth and then slowly lower the cloth or have the ball float above and away from the cloth while the cloth is held still...then remove it. This focuses all attention on the ball not the cloth.

Save the wisking away for vanishes or appearances. Quick moves may shake the ball in mid float . While doing the Okito.....you must be graceful grasshopper!

One last thought! Magicians are more impressed by removing the cloth from Zombie while the lay person may be more impressed by covering an object they suspect is suspended by a string with a cloth. I close my Okito with zombie. Magicians think its anticlimatic but laypeople see it as the next step of proving there are no strings. A video of this effect is on the video page of my website.

Good Luck,

Tim
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
I realy like your Zombie Ball routine Drake, because it look differet from all the others I saw.
You make your routine with realy big ball and it's look very amazing.
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Oh god not the zombie!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL