We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Sad little men (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dan84
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of dan84
I hate it when some performers wear a suit and look like a creepy uncle. I think you should wear what looks good on you and always look quite smart.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
A middle-aged, overweight banker trying to dress like Doug Henning is about as silly as a punk rocker trying to dress like Channing Pollock.

While I wear a tux for most of my adult shows, it fits the character I portray.

However, I agree wholehearted about the "creeply uncle" -- unless, of course, your character IS a creepy uncle! LOL!
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
I look really shifty in a smart suit, I suspect it's one reason no-one ever gave me a proper day job. I did notice that the more outrageously I dressed, the nicer people were to me, which is interesting and sort of led me to where I am now. But no-one ever trusts me when I'm in a formal suit.

Definitely Creepy Uncle for me then.. which is why I take to the stage as Crazy Aunt instead! Smile
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Lol as long as you enjoy it its alright with me.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Being a bizarrist, looking like a creepy uncle (or Uncle Creepy or Cousin Eerie) might not be a bad thing.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Mrbimble
View Profile
New user
Tucson, AZ
56 Posts

Profile of Mrbimble
Or those that think that they have to wear the standard dark suit for every preformance or event. Change it up a bit , it helps keep interest.
Jerry M.
Mundas vult decipi ~The world wants to be deceived

Multum in parvo ~Much in little(packs small/plays big)
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
I totally agree with this. as I have mentioned before, I have bright orange hair (its an ongoing thing), so I have several outfits that (amazingly) match perfectly with my hair. I can't count the number of times someone who thinks they're agriculturally smart has called me carrot-top. carrot tops are green!!
**--snap--**
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Yes, but Carrot Top (the comic) is a glowing redhead.

I hear you, though.

I'm planning to add some colorful, wizardly caftans to my performing wardrobe.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Rudolph McGuinness
View Profile
New user
Isle of Man
23 Posts

Profile of Rudolph McGuinness
It's the 21st Century guys. The suits moved to the velvet jackets and flared trousers; then onto silky shirts and bracelets; then onto neat waistcoats (vests in the USA?) and nice shirts and trousers.

There were some exceptions to this progression. Most of them were magicians.

Rudy.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Interesting concept! Where on the planet are you? Geography and culture really matters here. In the real world, there are plenty of places that will not seat to eat without your coat and tie. There are also plenty of people you will never get to meet because you won’t get passed security without a maintenance or delivery badge unless you are dressed appropriately. We have to play by their rules in their house.

I love jeans and boots, but there are plenty of people who have no idea I own any.

Slam doors carefully! They tend to stick.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Actually I'd agree with Rudolph. 98% of places in the UK have a smart casual dress code, or less, nowadays. As for the boring stuffed up places that have anything more, I'd rather not visit any such venue so out of touch with modern living.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The UK does have a much more relaxed standard than in parts of the USA. Marketing researchers use a strange (to non-marketing professionals) measure to determine the clientele a venue draws. That is noise level!

The louder the guests, the more relaxed the dress code. While it is not related to income, it is related to education and responsibility level. I can tell the difference quickly in different parts of the USA in audiences. One would think it relates to age, but I don't think that is a major factor. Employees are loud and enjoy a more relaxed dress code than educated business owners and self-employed professional men and women in the audience. (The louder ones also have the worst flight schedules. They will be flying out very late. The quieter better dressed ones are better planners.)

The other factor is that good coats and suits simply are out of the price range to have for occasional wear for someone who doesn't routinely wear them. When passable suits were available for $150 it was different. Now those those can easily cost you $750 and much more. People will move to Plan B. Why not? If enough people share the problem, the dress code changes.

Of course the right thing to do is never embarrass the talent buyer. When in doubt, ask. When flying blind, overdress. Remember that the talent buyer has the last laugh. Having been an agency owner, I can tell you that talent buyers don’t get mad, they get even. They are in charge of being in charge. They know that!

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
That's quite interesting Bob. I'd never realized there was so much difference between the US and UK in this respect. I've only ever been to NY in the States.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-02-18 15:24, BlackShadow wrote:
That's quite interesting Bob. I'd never realized there was so much difference between the US and UK in this respect. I've only ever been to NY in the States.

NY is one of our largest cities but not usually a good measuring device. It is has a case of too much diversity to tell what the culture really is. The culture is behind closed doors.

When I owned and agency, I had offices in NY and Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The differences were staggering. In the 60s I wrote a song called "She Gets The Nod" and I was asked to change it in Tennessee because it had a line that said, "Oh what a bod!" (I just needed a word to rhyme with nod.) The studio killed it. Mean while the nightclubs in the Village in NY were having live "Show us your most intimate piercing" contests. Pierced ears in Tuscaloosa were probably as exotic as it got there, especially in the 60s. Yet it had the print shop for the KKK on a main street up a couple of blocks from the Post Office and Federal Court Building! Codes can be hard to understand but they exist.

I do understand the confusion. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law are here from Europe and find it hard to believe that you can buy guns and ammunition here 24/7. But you can't order a glass of wine with Sunday dinner. Never on a Sunday! It's culture.

Don't embarrass your talent buyer! (Yes, I know. That's a moving target.)

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I think every country has their upper class areas. Take the UK, in the West End, if your working the smartest clothes are essential. I'm sure the sam is true for parts of America. We also however have our lower class areas were you could get away with looking like a bum. Recently Paul Daniels described David Blaine as scruffy, but that's because of where he's performing. Hes performing on the streets.
Nick
musicalmagician622
View Profile
New user
Manlius, NY
76 Posts

Profile of musicalmagician622
Well I'm not sure but I'd assume that most everyone here is older than 18? Well, that is irrelevent, but I too wear clothes when I perform. Most of the stuff I do now is street magic. I just like to look like a normal teenager when I do this so I'd wear what I wear every day.
Smile
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-03-29 20:48, musicalmagician622 wrote:
Well I'm not sure but I'd assume that most everyone here is older than 18? Well, that is irrelevent, but I too wear clothes when I perform. Most of the stuff I do now is street magic. I just like to look like a normal teenager when I do this so I'd wear what I wear every day.

I don't think that you are off target. The clothes should fit the image you wish to convey. It's an act. Costumes are in order.

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I am still not sure how wearing a suit makes you a creepy uncle, but for most birthday parties I wear a bright jacket and black slacks with a shirt and colourful tie (sometimes even the dreaded magic tie).
My character is the "funny uncle", that guy who knows a few tricks and lots of jokes etc, and my appearance suits me.
When I am doing more formal gigs I wear the tux, but even that is becoming less often. The jacket etc I wear helps me get into character.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-04-20 11:52, Neale Bacon wrote:
I am still not sure how wearing a suit makes you a creepy uncle, but for most birthday parties I wear a bright jacket and black slacks with a shirt and colourful tie (sometimes even the dreaded magic tie).
My character is the "funny uncle", that guy who knows a few tricks and lots of jokes etc, and my appearance suits me.
When I am doing more formal gigs I wear the tux, but even that is becoming less often. The jacket etc. I wear helps me get into character.

Yes! And Neale is certainly a character!

Good to hear from you Neale. The staff misses you!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-01-19 11:12, Mrbimble wrote:
Or those that think that they have to wear the standard dark suit for every preformance or event. Change it up a bit , it helps keep interest.

This may be the case if you are performing for the same audience every night. If not, it doesn't need to be done.

Some performers have another tack completely. At TWGMS, Paul Kozak changes clothes for each turn he does between acts. The clothing is coordinated for the material he is doing. He wears a dark brown outfit for the salt pour -- so you can see the salt. He wears white for another part of the show, etc.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Sad little men (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL