We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Rope for the Pitch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Is anyone else using the "one" (!) rope routine from Richard Sanders' Fiber Optics DVD?

I like it because there is no real cutting involved, and you can add or skip some of the phases, according to your needs and personal preferences.

And some phases are pure eye-candy!

My two cents!

Ronnie Lemieu
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
A routine I'm working on is called "Full Circle" which has Prof. Nightmare, ring on rope, and some other effects all rolled into a pretty decent piece. I can't remember off the top of my head who published it though. Smile
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2005-02-09 12:59, saturnin wrote:
Is anyone else using the "one" (!) rope routine from Richard Sanders' Fiber Optics DVD?

I like it because there is no real cutting involved, and you can add or skip some of the phases, according to your needs and personal preferences.

And some phases are pure eye-candy!
My two cents!

Ronnie Lemieu
Montreal
Canada

Yeah, I think Frank has been talking about this a lot lately. Check up a few posts.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Yep, it's great. I don't do that routine because I want more spectator involvement.
I crafted one finally. Fiber Optics got me off my butt to get one into production.

I use stuff from Daryl's, Steve Bedwell's "In over your head", Whit Hayden's Mongo pop-knot, Fiber Optics.

All of them have things that are great. There's genius in all of them. Daryl's well-thought-out presentation; Whit's ideas for spectator involvement; Fiber Optics eye-candy moves. They speak for themselves and can be plugged in anywhere.

Bedwell's is very good for giving you tips on Comedy Theory, callbacks, spectator involvement, etc. Probably not the best for the street, but it's a must-read and perfect for a stage/parlor setting. Just the tips on applause cues and callbacks are worth $100. If you can't find a copy of these at your local dealer, I can get you one.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
221 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Ahhh... for all you guys that have seen the Tabary routine I agree it is fun to watch, but slow. Sooo for the past 6 years, I have been putting together the moves from his routine, and working out a routine that will give the most impact on stage and in the street.

I too don't like to cut up a bunch of rope, but I love rope on the street. That's what got me looking at the Tabary stuff. I chopped him up and placed the moves in a different order tossed in a floating weenie trick and put the strong stuff at the end. Loaded with comedy and it involves the audience in 3 of the phases. It runs about 6 minutes and is one of my favorite routines when I get into a larger crowd.

It's in post production at the moment and it should be on the market in a month or two. I'll drop a post when it is finished.

When I showed it to Jeff McBride he told me that I took the Tabary routine and got it to make sense. All Eugene Burger said was, "Sell it".

So I decided to shoot some performance video of it and put it out and see what people think.

In any case all I can say whenever you look at adding a piece to your show, look at the big picture. If it has something that you like about it then start the work. Learn it the way the creator put it out then play with it at home until you find all the crap that you don't like about it. Then cut those parts out. Add new parts from other places. Keep working it at home. Put it down for a while. Think about it. Pick it back up and keep working it.

At a certain point, you will look at it and say to yourself, "I like it." Then go put it in the front of your show. That's important because you can always get the audience back if you screw it up. At least most of the time. Then after you work it for a while, you will be able to find a nice home for it someplace in your show.

The process will take from a couple of months to a couple of years. It doesn't matter. It's your show. Give it your best. I mean YOUR best.
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
RickCastro
View Profile
New user
Chino, California
12 Posts

Profile of RickCastro
Full Circle was put out by myself and my Friend John Gustaferro.
If anyone is inerested in it...I have them available for $25 post paid.
e-mail me for details.
Rick Castro
made2amaze.com
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Bro Paul
I have started using your Street Rope routeen, that is very nice.
Best buy on notes that I have made since I bought Gazzo book on Cups and Balls.
I have noticed in your film real of the trick you don't do the give away not but you teach it in your notes, why is that?
Mario
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
221 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Mario:

When I put the CD together, that's the only clip I had of the routine. Maybe I should update it for future releases. When I do the routine, I don't use the give away knot, but it was the way it was given to me, so I wanted to make sure you could do it if you want to.

I'll let you know if I do another video of the routine.

Isn't it a fun thing to do. Plus I go into a ring on rope routine at the end. After the ends change places with the center, I say, very quickly, "Everyone put your hands out palm down... Everyone..." and I start walking around the circle. Then I say, "I'm just looking for jewelry..."

After I get a ring I want to use... Now this is the killer... I look at the audience and say, "Look at this I just traded a rope for this great ring... To tell you the truth, I was going to pass my hat at the end of the show and get a couple of bucks from each of you, now I don't have to do that. Let's give (whatever the name is), a big round of applause. She (or he) just saved you some money. BUT if I have to give it back then you all are back on the hook again." It get's a laugh and locks in that I'm going to get the money.

Then I go into a 3 phase ring and rope routine and pass the hat at the end. It's a good closer and people want to stay, because I have this persons ring. They want to know what's going to happen. Works for me.

Good luck Mario. May hearts be light and hats be heavy...
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Bro Paul
It is a fun thing to do, I must addmit I am not so keen on the give away knot. I did do that way a few time now but it does not feel right. It is good to hear your slant on this.
Mario
Firebert
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Firebert
Well Bro. Paul, after hearing so much about the CD, I just bought it. I am indeed looking forward to it.

By the way, does anyone know where a demo video of "Full Circle" can be found???

Thanks guys for all the great commentary.

:jump:
“Nor is the man enriched, in repeating the old experiments of animal sensation, nor unless through new powers and ascending pleasures, he knows himself by the actual experience of higher good, to be already on the way to the highest."

--Emmerson
Spanky
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
81 Posts

Profile of Spanky
I use fiber optics as my rope trick. I think it works perfect by itself
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
221 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Wow... Just dug up this old post and a lot was said about the Street Rope Routine back in 2005.

This is just an update: I have just released The Street Rope Trick - The DVD as a stand alone item. Comes with enough rope to get you started with your first set up and the DVD is about 44:00 minutes long. It takes you through it all and saves you the 71 photos from the manuscript on the old CD.

Just thought you may want to know, and thanks for all your nice comments and support over the years. Check it out at the site: http://www.BrotherPaulmagic.com

It still is a great piece of magic.
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Bro. Paul .... Unless I'm mixed up, I remember watching a clip of you doing a rope trick in a bar, and it got great reaction ..... what rotine was that? I'd like to see it agoin, but can't seem to locate it.
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
221 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Quote:
On 2013-12-24 11:24, jakeg wrote:
Bro. Paul .... Unless I'm mixed up, I remember watching a clip of you doing a rope trick in a bar, and it got great reaction ..... what rotine was that? I'd like to see it agoin, but can't seem to locate it.

jakeg: That routine is my handling of the Tabary Tapes. He has GREAT stuff and I loved a lot of his moves and routining. It took me 6 years to come up with version that would work for me. I've performed it in the streets with huge success and also on stage. In silence and to music. Close up, parlor and stage too. The patter I came up with works the audience and get's them involved. I use one spectator and then I use the whole audience as I split them in half. It has killed for me for a long time.

I've been thinking of putting that routine out, but I want to talk to Tabary about any rights issues. I don't think it's a problem, but I've been in the business long enough to know that things can become very touchy, very fast.

If I can get it cleared, I'm going to have it out in about 6 months or so. It's a solid 6 minutes and I know that the group here kind of put a thumbs down for it on the street as sudden death for a busker. I can prove that wrong.

The routine you watched in the past was on my old site. I'll dig it out of the archives and get it on YouTube and share a link here in the near future. I was performing this routine in McGovern's Bar in St. Paul, MN standing on a chair for a group. It's a fun routine to do.

The Street Rope Trick - The DVD is out now. A short YouTube Video is at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuIj8_EBHTY

You can read more about it at the website. Thanks for bringing up the Tabary routine. It's got my juices flowing again and would be a nice addition to my 2014 lecture tour.
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
221 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Well that was easier than I thought it was going to be. I searched it. Found it. Started a Vimeo account for it. Uploaded it and now... Sharing it. As I said above, a lot of magi's think the Tabary stuff is not good for busking, but I really think this routine works very well for me.

https://vimeo.com/82652329

It's clean, easy and fills about 6 minutes. It took me about 6 years to hone it up and in the last 6 to 8 years it has come even farther and plays bigger. Sure it's not for everyone, but for us guys that love ropes and don't like to by more than 6 feet a year, this works for me.

I'll put it out someday soon and you guys can do what you want with it.

Thank you to all the rope guys that create the stuff that I can tear apart and make work for me. I'm truly thankful and grateful.
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Rope for the Pitch (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL