The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How fruity is your cups routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Lots of talk about the cups lately so I thought I'd focus in on one item:

How many final laods (or pieces of fruit) do you produce in your cups and balls routine.

I produce 4 good sized oranges (using the gary animal Babe cups) and a large grapefruit hat load. So 4. Plus the hat load.

... and you?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
swatchel-omi
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of swatchel-omi
I use 3 oranges and a lemon from Gary Animal /Animal cups for close quarter shows, ( like a crowded cocktail party) These come from a Cellini pouch.

I use 6 oranges from Gary Animal/Gazzo cups and a melon or a coconut from the hat for everything else. These come from a Gazzo pouch.

I use a baseball and a lemon for my chop cup. (Cellini pouch)

Joe
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
221 Posts

Profile of bropaul
I use just 3 lemons or limes if things are tight...

I also have started using no loads when the heat is on. Instead of dancing around, I have found that there are a couple of points in my routine where people gasp. Sometimes at that point I throw the cups on the table and have them hold out their hands palm up, everyone, and start looking for a ring for the closer. This ends the cups very abruptly and pushes them into an audience participation thing. Kind of fun for me to watch.

The only problem I've had with this is that if there is a magician in the crowd, they come up after the show in shock and ask what went wrong with the cups. "You didn't do the loads". BUT the general audience doesn't know there were "supposed" to be loads. It's also fun for me to watch magicians go on tilt when I do this. You know how it is. It's for my entertainment.

It works. Doesn't hurt the routine, because it ends with a point of magic that is strong. Plus you don't have to do the load dance to cover your angles when you are being burned.

Give it a try and watch the reaction. Just end on the strongest part of the routine you are using. Feels weird the first time, but you'll see what I mean...
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
swatchel-omi
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of swatchel-omi
Quote:
On 2005-01-19 08:01, bropaul wrote:
The only problem I've had with this is that if there is a magician in the crowd, they come up after the show in shock and ask what went wrong with the cups. "You didn't do the loads".

That's hilarious ! LOL.

Joe
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
I use four loads. Usually they are oranges. I do not do a large hat load for two reasons. The main reason being that I do not wear a hat (I have one, but don't wear it), but secondly because it seems, currently, slightly overdone. That is not a criticism for those who do it. I understand the reasons for a large fruit hat load and have even had a very in depth discussion with someone who most likely brought this practice into the limelight (so to speak) again recently, who said that I should incorporate it into my act. I do not feel that it fits my performing style either. So I guess ultimately, there are three reasons I don't use a hat load.

Also, it is my personal opinion that more than 4 loads becomes overkill, at least in my situation. Now, before people get uneasy in their chair and pull out the flame throwers, I only am speaking in terms of what fits my act. There is no criticism of any other's act or reasons for how much fruit they produce.
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
I used to use four oranges for my final loads - now I use three baseballs and three oranges followed by a tin of oranges (because a melon was too big). The tin sometimes gets a couple of laughs.

Chris
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I use 9 loads - three different types of fruit, followed immediately by 3 additional cups, followed by another 3 balls. The finale is from David Regal's Cups & Balls and Cups and Balls routine, with a few minor modifications. I would love to do the grapefruit finale as well, but I can't get it into my bodyload without looking 9 months pregnant!
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
swatchel-omi
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of swatchel-omi
I love your comments Jim.

Gazzo mentioned that more than 3 loads are too much if you're not doing the hat load. The extra loads add greatly to the timing and the rhythm of the hat production. It's almost 2 seperate routines.

I don't always have a hat, and when I don't, I use 4 loads. I went from 3 to 4 when I came up with an idea to fit it into the rotine, otherwise I would have stayed with 3.

I think that when deciding on the loads, (or not to load), for the cups and balls, a person must take into consideration their individual performing style, their skill level, their performing persona, the audience, the venue, and the show structure.

This is what makes the cups such a great trick, It's not "one-size-fits-all".

Joe
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1193 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
I perform a two cup routine table hopping and close up and do 3 final loads being a small orange, a green lemon and a potatoe. Always get good reactions with the final loads. My routine is build up so that people finally think they figured it out, and then bam the final loads.
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
A bit off topic. I have been thinking about the hat load. People do them, and I can't understand why an audience gets impressed by a melon under the hat. But that's me, a magican without perspective, perhaps.

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I currently produce four oranges from underneath copper Gazzo cups. It's really three productions:

First, one under the middle cup. Orange goes on top of the cup, which is forward of the other two.

Second, both hands empty, slowly lift both outer cups for two more. Oranges go on top of cups.

Third, middle cup with orange lifted to show fourth orange. Cup is set down in line with other two, behind orange.

I'm not currently doing a hat load but will probably work up to it.

Yours,

Paul
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

I don't know if an audience gets "impressed" by the hat load but... it comes at a very good time. After the effect is over.

They've let down their guard at that point and the largest load is still to come.
I think it's perfect.

It's like in the movies where someone wakes up from a bad dream and sits up in bed.
Then another monster comes out from under the bed and they scream again.
Then they wake up again, having dreamed that they were having a bad dream...

Except it's not a bad dream. And they're not in bed. And nobody's screaming.
No monsters either. And no movie. Other than that... it's exactly the same.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ken Brooke, following coins through the table (I know the question had to do with cups and balls, but listen)... would stand up and start to leave, pause then TOSS A 12-inch diameter coin onto the table. Not magical, he was sitting on it, got up and just threw it onto the table...

Later, people would say "he produced this huge coin and we have no idea where it came from."

So, with that in mind...I was thinking that next chance I will lift the cups with their nice lemon loads, wait for THE MOMENT and toss a coconut on the table. I have one that I was going to use to produce from a Fez, following my Hindu Cup routine, but have only rehearsed it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Pete,

I like your thinking here. Somewhat like Mendoza... just grabbing the big stuff and bringing it into view.

As long as you've derailed this train... I finish my multiplying bottles with a huge bottle that has been hiding behind my table/bar the whole time. At the conclusion of the routine, which increases in tempo, I just grab the top of the bottle and wrist snap it straight up in the air and catch it as it reaches the proper height to just plop on the table. Not magical in the truest sense, but very surprising, it does fool many people, and if they photograph it, I'm sure they've told all kinds of wonderful tales about it later!

Here's an idea I had once, but never worked it up. If you're familiar with Harkey's trick, Dirty Pool, it expands from there. Seated at a table, hand a black balloon to a spectator with the request, "You know what to do." You also have one. They will begin to fill theirs, while you merely begin and find yourself "distracted" talking to other spectators. When their balloon has reached optimum size (I'll clue you what that is in a second...), stop them and say, "Oh, I'm sorry! I just meant a little bit. That's ok, just tie it off."

Set their balloon on the table near you.

You then proceed to do Harkey's trick with your balloon and the eight ball. (Unlike Harkey, I prefer to let the ball crash to the table with a loud bang.) At the moment the spectators are reacting to this, grab the larger balloon with one hand, and with the other, hoist a bowling ball off the floor and let it roll up over the edge onto the table, as you break their balloon.

"Yeah, I should have figured that was too much air..."

I've never tried it, but I really think it would kill.

Re: the original thread (fruits and how many). I tend to think four is a superior number because three makes too much sense. Four pushes reality just a hair over the edge. Three CAN fit... but not four. Anything beyond that MAY flirt with redundancy.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

Is this in Simpley Harkey?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Frank,

Re: Harkey... I sold that book too long ago to remember. I first learned it from some other publication (not sure if it was a magazine or lecture notes). I later saw him do it in his lecture. Are you familiar with the trick?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Frank,
I don't have the book now either, but I'm pretty sure Simply Harkey had this trick in it. At least I remember it having one trick involving an 8-ball and a black balloon.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

I have the book. I'll look tonight.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
3 miniature basketballs and, if I know that there's a magician in the crowd, the bag that the cups came in, just for laughs.

For laypeople, I shy away from doing the bag off the table, right under their eyes because it lessens the effect of the large loads in their eyes. "He just managed to sneak those basketballs in there when we were looking at something else, just like he copped the bag, somehow, off the table!"

And explanation, however wrong, kills the magic. That's why I only do the bag load, ala Tommy Wonder/Jos Bema (same guy, I know) when I know that there's a fellow mage in the crowd.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
My final loads are 3 JUMBO Hershey Kiss' and as a 4th final load its a full can of Hershey's Syrup.

Got the Idea from Gregory Wilson's trick "Kiss Off", which I perform close up. I thought this idea would work with the 3 cups in my stand-up show. I have worked out a routine that people really seem to like.

Thanks to all the great advice I am getting from this forum I am thinking of adding a Final HAT load of a container of Regular Hershey’s Kiss' that I can spill out all over the table at the end of the routine.
I am working on this to see if I can make it happen.

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How fruity is your cups routine? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL