The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How fruity is your cups routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Good thinking kono. Keep us posted.

Lee, you could employ a 2nd bag, false xfer, (ditch it), vanish it, and make it appear under the cup.
That way it doesn't look like you're sneaking the bag under there.
You're making it disappear first, right before their eyes.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Adam J
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Adam J
For my small shotglass-sized cups, I use 3 'Jumbo' Lollypops (cut the sticks off), and then do another 2 smaller ones with the sticks on them. Sometimes it makes people laugh, and sometimes they just think it's interesting/creative. I sometimes do little marble type things as well. No lemons fitting into these cups any time soon!

Adam
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
I do a 2 Cup Routine and load 3 billiard balls. Never fails to get a reaction.

mmG Roland
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I do six baseballs or six oranges and a hat load of a large tennis ball or a melon.
Chris
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The large tennis ball hat load just mentioned reminded me of this... There used to be a form of baseball/softball known as kittenball. The ball was even larger than a softball. Does anyone know if these are still available? That might make a decent hat load with baseball cup loads.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Quote:
On 2005-01-20 15:45, Roland Henning wrote:
I do a 2 Cup Routine and load 3 billiard balls. Never fails to get a reaction.

mmG Roland

I use eight balls (they are rubber) with a three cup. I make a couple of bits of patter that relates to the production that I say early and let the audience 'forget'. Then I have a closer that links it in.

I get a good reaction with it.

Never really compared it to fruit though. I think, fruit is possibly stronger. Has anyone done the two loads?
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
As mentioned before, Ken Brooke used the large finish to many of his routines, Dotty Spots, Coins Thru, and Transpo Die comes to mind. But even after performing the Kaps Koin trick (a growing coin routine), Ken would do a double take and cap the climax (the 6" Coin being the Kaps climax). Ken would follow through by throwing a 12" Chinese coin on the table. You should have seen the look on Freddie Kaps face. Kaps out Kapped!
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-01-20 19:46, Michael Baker wrote:
The large tennis ball hat load just mentioned reminded me of this... There used to be a form of baseball/softball known as kittenball. The ball was even larger than a softball. Does anyone know if these are still available? That might make a decent hat load with baseball cup loads.

I don't know about the kittenball, but one could use a 16" softball. (like they use for that goofy brand of softball played in Chicago Smile ) They are noticably larger than the standard and are available online for about 15 bucks.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-01-27 15:09, VANDY wrote:

I don't know about the kittenball, but one could use a 16" softball. (like they use for that goofy brand of softball played in Chicago Smile ) They are noticably larger than the standard and are available online for about 15 bucks.

It may be the same thing. I'm originally from Galesburg, IL and that's where I saw these things played with.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
You can get them here: http://www.ballsonline.com/browse.asp?cat=153&path=6,153

I think it would be a great hat load with the baseball cup loads. They are comically large and most places around the country don't play 16" softball, so they would be a novel item to a lot of people.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks for the link! At that price, I'll have to check one out.

Found this verification also: http://www.binghamtonjrsenators.com/Kitt......ball.php
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Kittenball, that kills me. I never heard it called that before. I've never been a fan of that brand of softball. LOL We use gloves 'round here...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The only time I remember seeing this played was when I was a real little kid, and it was my dad playing on some team (probably church league). Yeah, my games were always "take your head off" softball. But in the long run, it still meant we were too old to play real baseball. LOL.

Back on track... the ball should make for a decent hat load. Of course with my hat, I could probably produce a pineapple!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
I simply produce three brightly colored rubber balls ($1.15 at Walmart) and a kooshball for the fourth load.

The first three are similar with different coloring, but the huge difference with the fourth load really gets a stunned reaction...especially because it comes when the audience thinks the whole thing is over.

I wait just a few seconds to reveal it, so the applause doesn't "restart". It just picks up even more.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
nick nickolas
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
78 Posts

Profile of nick nickolas
Jim,,, " I do not do a large hat load for two reasons. The main reason being that I do not wear a hat (I have one, but don't wear it)" That's a good reason and cracked me up...

After accidently loading a rotten orange that has been festering in my pouch for a couple of day's, you know when your finger bursts through the white dusty bit ? (Remembering to show the most orangy coloured side to the audience on the reveal is essential).
Then peeling orange skin which has adhesieved itself to the inside of my propbag while spending days on the road...Split Melon juice attracting flies and other insects, while sticky fluid covers the beautifully crocheted balls...and the continuous search for the orange shop nearly drove me mad,,,tennis balls took over my life ...
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2005-03-02 07:27, nick nickolas wrote:
Jim,,, " I do not do a large hat load for two reasons. The main reason being that I do not wear a hat (I have one, but don't wear it)" That's a good reason and cracked me up...

After accidently loading a rotten orange that has been festering in my pouch for a couple of day's, you know when your finger bursts through the white dusty bit ? (Remembering to show the most orangy coloured side to the audience on the reveal is essential).
Then peeling orange skin which has adhesieved itself to the inside of my propbag while spending days on the road...Split Melon juice attracting flies and other insects, while sticky fluid covers the beautifully crocheted balls...and the continuous search for the orange shop nearly drove me mad,,,tennis balls took over my life ...

I do like using either lemons or oranges. I use those as loads because often I will finish with bill in lemon or orange. I have used oranges in the last couple of years, because it is easier and cleaner to get the bills in.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
I practiced a routine using 3 loads, 4 loads, and even six loads and a hat load but when I got out on the streets I was working a sidewalk show and the crowd was right on top of me and at my sides so I switched to a single and sometimes a double load.

I use a modified Gazzo routine and when I put the balls under the end cups in my pockets and then reveal that they are back under the cups I set the cups on the ends on their sides and then show three balls under the middle cup, this is where I load the first load. If I decide to do two loads I slip the second load under after revealing the first one.

The reason for this is two-fold, one is because of the closeness of the crowd and the angles and the other is because I have to wear period attire and the pants that I wear are too small the hold any loads. I can barely fit the small balls in my pocket. I keep the loads in a servante. Multiple loads are great and in my ideal routine I would either use 3 loads, or six plus the hat load.

I like three because you can move at a slower pace so that each final load can get its own good reaction. The reason I like the 6 loads and the hat is because the first final load gets a great reaction and then you move so quickly that the audience can barely keep up with the last 5 and then when the hat load comes they see a table covered with fruit or balls, and just a moment ago their was nothing. Both have their pros and cons.

To me the three loads is more magical, but the 7 loads are really impressive. But don't discount a single load just because it's simple.
Swami Bill
View Profile
Regular user
Le Monde
135 Posts

Profile of Swami Bill
4 brightly colored juggling balls from Gary Animal Babe cups. I've tried the fruit but it wears out over the season so last year I switched to the balls. Never fails to wow 'em.
That's MISTER Swami Bill to you.
AndyComic
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of AndyComic
I perform this trick all the time. I only do two cups. 3 final loads and on under the hat. My philosophy is
1) Final loads have to be different - seeing an orange say then a lemon keeps the audiance guessing what comes next ---seeing an orange then another orange then another then another ..well you get the idea
2) Once you reveal one, keep them flowing. Don't reveal one , then go into another small ball bit. I've seen this done a bit.
How many:
Before I knew how the trick worked , I saw Gazzo and remember spotting the 5th and 6th load. See a routine for yourself , if you aren't fooled , don't do it. If you are then do it.
What to use:
I use to always use fruit but it is a hassle always walking around fruit shops with your cup in hand for your next show. I always seem to slit the melon as well. Now I 'm pretty lazy and use realistic fake fruit. The stuff on the market now is pretty impressive.
Andy
http://www.AndyComic.com
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
I like doing 4 loads. The audience feels like you could do anything with those cups after 4 loads. More than 4 loads without a major climax such as a Cantalope, and therefore a little anitclimatal, but it does set up a cantalope load beautifully. If no "major" load is used, then I don't like anything more that 4 loads.

When doing fruit- 4 plums (biggest fruit that can fit).
(normally) it's 4 tennis balls though.

( I like the Idea about the juggling balls, especially when doing street magic- great way to end, and while your collecting the hat.)
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How fruity is your cups routine? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL