The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What are your workhorse cups... and why. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13385 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I used to use Cellini Cups until recently.

I've officially switched to the Gary Animal "Babe" cups.
I did this for several reasons, even though I love the look and feel of
the Cellini Cups.

I bought 2 sets of Babes so I now have an extra set just in case.
I like the look of the Babes. They remind me of the Paul Fox cups.
They barely take a baseball. They are handmade and they are not an exact match. Even from cup to cup. But I don't care.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
PETE BIRO CUPS are my standard. Just used them this past Sunday on the street. I was walking into Ralphs (supermarket for those outside CA) on Sunday to get my oranges and mellon and took one of Pete's cups to make sure the fruit fit, and I admired the beautiful pantina my cups had mellowed into.

Two hours later, I was lifting those cups one by one to reveal my second set of oranges as the 100 or so punters around me gasped with each reveal. Thanks, Pete!

PS: I also love my Gazzo cups, but I'm saving them as collectors items cause I got a set that Gaz actually used.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
swatchel-omi
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of swatchel-omi
I use Gary Animal /Animal cups for close quarter shows, (like a crowded cocktail party) 3 oranges and a lemon are the finale from a Cellini pouch

I use Gary Animal/Gazzo cups for everything else. The finale being 6 oranges from a Gazzo pouch and a melon or a coconut from the hat. I have 2 sets just in case.

Those are my workhorse cups. For many years my only cups were Magic Inc. / Charlie Miller cups, but now that I've gone to a bigger size I can never go back. Now the Miller cups feel like thimbles, and the small balls seem like peas.

Once in a great while I'll use Harries Bosco Cups for nightclub work.

Joe
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
I use the Gary Animal cups because they just fit me right, they have a nice weight & I get some nice sized loads in there.
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
JamesinLA... you have good taste Smile -- My current favorite cups? Hindu Cups and for single cup work Frank Starsini's leather chop cup - and if I have the space Cocktail Surprise.

I don't have any of my own cups left, discriminating customers have them all (except a few sets of the Johnny Paul Cups).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I use gazzo cups, and after playing aorund with them for the last six months, any other cup I pick up feels like it is going to fly straight up in the air. I love the heft of them, and the sound they make when I do the cup thru cup move; KATHUNK! and also when I tip them over; THUD!

I even sold all of my other cups. The Gazzos are the only ones I need!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
My first "real" cups were the Bertram/Miller cups. I still like them. They have a sort of primitive look that works well into a Ren Faire theme.

I then graduated to some Gazzo "Babe" cups and never looked back. I'm on the waiting list now for a new set of "small top" Animals. These more closely match Gazzo's original design. I don't do the "three balls" thing on the top anyway, and I think the smaller top will help to enhance the look of the load sitting on the cups.

And, the slightly bigger diameter should make it easier to find oranges that fit. (I learned the hard way to take a cup with you to the grocery store. Day of show, quick stop on the way, not a single orange would fit.)
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
Frank Starsini's Chop/Dice cup combo is a beautiful cup to use for a one-cup routine

Chris
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I am using Gazzo cups for the street and Bertram/miller cups for private gigs. I just sold my Biro Gali-Gali cups on ebay and it just about broke my heart. They went to a good home though, thank God. The Biro cups were by far the best magic investment I have ever made. I used them on the street for almost 4 years earning countless hats and sold them last week for just about what I paid for them. I am sure the guy who bought them will get super service from them as well.
Buying quality tools always pays off in the long run.
Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Well, I have a set of aluminum Morrisey combo cups that I use a lot. For my chop cup, I have an original Rings 'N' Things cup. One of our compatriots in here, Rik, is sending me his leather, hand-tooled mini-chop cup and I can hardly wait to get my paws on it. I also have a set of three pewter shot glasses with Revolutionary War motifs on them that I sometimes use for themed events - they are not gimmicked.

As to the why - well the Morrisey cups have been with me for about 20 years. They're near indestructible. The original RNT cup should be obvious - it is a superb cup and holds an immense load. The mini-cup/shot glasses are solid pewter, stack pretty well and allow me to use both standard cup moves as well as some of the shell game moves.

I haven't received Rik's chop cup yet. I'll post a review of it when I get it and have a chance to work with it a bit.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1177 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Penguin copper cups are mine. They are heavy, big enough to load fruit and very important the balls do not fall down when I put two of them on top of a cup and do the ball penetration move.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1779 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Phoenix Cups, beat them to death & love them.
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I long for a set of Gazzo or Animal cups, but right now I am using the Harries Bosco street cups, which are nice and take a decent sized orange. I kind of like them for their traditional styling.
Chris
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I think Boscos are a great deal for the money.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5374 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Just want to say that I have a set of Animal cups. At least that's what Gazzo says. Gazzo gave them to Cellini and Cellini gave them to me. Nice cups, big load, and strong. However, I do a chop cup routine on the streets and I think it kills. I'm using a Jim Riser chop cup, the mini Riser and it's really nice.

The release of the ball is so natural. It rocks. I think I might buy another just to have it.

Anyways that's my story.
koz
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Well, it may be no surprise to you, that the Phoenix Cups are my workhorse cups. Today was a beautiful day here in Seattle. Blue skies, sunny, 60 degrees and the mountains were out. I went to Pike Place Market and banged out some street shows. When I say banged out shows I mean it literally. It was 21 years ago that I studied with Cellini in the French Quarter of New Orleans. He taught me to bang on the cups in my routine to create attention. It is a fact, that a person will cross the street to see what the guy banging on the cups with a crowd around him is doing. Worked then. . . works now.

I grew up on the Charlie Miller cups but I went through at least a set a year. When I had the Phoenix Cups manufactured, I wanted a much stronger cup, I achieved that. I just wish James Riser had his fantastic site up and running then. I could have fixed the design flaws then.

But to be honest, the wobble has never prevented me for entertaining my audiences, or prohibited me from performing any of the many sequences in my routine or making money with them.

I like that term "workhorse cup" that was the goal of the Phoenix Cups.

:cups:
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13385 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Hi Tom.
I bought a set from you off ebay. I thought they were great.
I could even let the kids play with them without worrying.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
220 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Well the Charlie Miller's are my favorite just because I have used them for a bunch of years. A nice weight and doesn't weigh me down. I agree with Tommy, I beat the hell out of those cups. I have an aluminum bar about 18" that I use for a wand so they do get banged up. I can balance the wand on my index finger, in the middle and strike it with a silver dollar. It makes one of those nice ringing sounds. Very cool. Now that the Charlie Miller cups have dried up I have a set of Phoenix cups waiting on the wings.

I liked the price of the Charlie Miller's too. It made them kind of disposable. The way cups are priced today, looks like I'll have to go to a wooden wand.

Also my balls are a little different. I took two pieces of leather the size of silver dollars and sewed them around the edge. Turned them inside out. Filled them with bird seed. Finished off the sewing. It makes them round, but flat. Kind of like little flying saucers. This keeps them from rolling off the table, and when the wind is up they stay put. I can also angle my table top for larger crowds and they don't roll off.

Just thoughts...

Tommy: Thanks for the cups. I got them from Shawn a couple of years ago. They are great! Good presentation.
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-01-22 09:08, bropaul wrote:

Also my balls are a little different. I took two pieces of leather the size of silver dollars and sewed them around the edge. Turned them inside out. Filled them with bird seed. Finished off the sewing. It makes them round, but flat. Kind of like little flying saucers. This keeps them from rolling off the table, and when the wind is up they stay put. I can also angle my table top for larger crowds and they don't roll off.

This is the kind of lateral thinking that belongs in the genius class. Who said a ball must be round? I salute you, sir!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Tilman
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of Tilman
I have been using copper cups from Willi Seidl, Vienna, for about ten years. These are excellent, comparatively small, but heavy cups. Alexander DeCova recommended them a lot. He also had some custom-made in two somewhat larger sizes and sold them through his own shop (you can see all three sizes on his German video on the cups and balls, and there is also a photo of at least one Seidl cup in Bill Palmer's cups and balls museum).
At the moment, the only source for Seidl cups I know of is Freers Zauberladen Berlin. The cups sold there seem to be a bit larger than the regular sized Seidl cups that were sold ten years ago - I do not know how they compare to the two larger sizes sold by Alexander DeCova.
What all Seidl cups have in common is the fact that they have only one, rather broad, ring around the middle of the cup. The upper half of the cup is quite round, which makes it easy to drag one cup away from a stack of cups while retaining a ball in the cup.
Seidl cups in the regular size also have a rather unique feature: when you remove one cup from a stack of cups not by dragging it off, but by rotating it around a point where its rim hits the shoulder bead of the cup underneath, the opposite side of the rim will just knock a 1+ inch ball off the top of the lower cup and into the angled top cup (hope this makes sense). When you further remove the top cup, you can easily prevent the ball from falling out by curling in your third or fourth finger. In this way, you can slowly and deliberately show the space between two cups empty before going into a Charlie Miller sequence.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What are your workhorse cups... and why. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL