The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What are your workhorse cups... and why. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Yo Yo Brother Paul! Good to hear from you! Glad you like the cups.

Did you and Shawn have a good time recently?

The Charlie Miller (Magic Inc.) Cups were the cup of an era for me too. At $35 bucks a set back in the day they were great. The Ross Bertram Cups were only $75 back then.

Now we have so many high priced options. I wish I had more money; I would own them all!!!!
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5374 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Well, Tom here gave me a stick a few years ago. Tom, still using it.
koz
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
By the way Frank, thanks for your purchase. I appreciate it and I'm glad you're happy with them.

Yo Ted, how you been?
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5374 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Doing well Tom.
koz
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
220 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Thank you Michael Baker. Been using them for 18 years now. I guess it was about time to tip 'em. Enjoy!
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Bropaul,

I just recently made some load balls following an idea for making juggling balls, and they are filled with birdseed (tightly packed). I like the way they feel and handle, I'd just never thought of a non-spherical shape for the regular balls.

If you don't mind, what kind of leather did you use? Thickness? Texture? I believe I'll be on this project very soon!

...and thanks for the tip!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Since I got my copper Gazzo cups, I haven't wanted to use anything else. Sometimes in a practice session I will work with my brass Johnson cups, a set of prototype Animal cups that Gary used on the street, and the Gazzo cups. Once I got used to the size, which took some doing, I fell in love with the weight and balance of these. Being able to produce an orange is wonderful.

After one performance, someone came up to me to talk. He was really baffled by the final loads, because as he explained to me, "You can't palm an orange."

"No," I said. "That's impossible."

That's why we do this!

Yours,

Paul
magic guy
View Profile
New user
Kansas
27 Posts

Profile of magic guy
I use Johnson Products cups for my routine with stainless-steel ball bearings -- thank you Paul Gertner for the inspiration and some of the moves. The best thing about the JP cups for this kind of work is they ring like bells when bottoms-up, meaning the hole side is up, and you tap them with a wand -- a wooden dowel from a coathanger. Also, when I get to the under-the-cup loads, a pair of 2" balls on the sides and a 2.5" ball under the middle cup, they really sound off if you hold the cups just right for the 2" balls. Then I use the audience's visual reaction when a spectator reveals the big 2.5" under-the-cup load as misdirection -- while I put away the three 3/4" balls and steal the 3" ball bearing for the final drop. Absolute control is the key to prevent the small balls from talking, but some of the moves require banging the cups and slamming the balls. You have to be willing to sacrifice those JP cups' beautiful, smooth finishes, but it works for me -- and the balls don't blow away in Wichita's high winds. Smile
Poetry is magic with words; magic is wordless poetry.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1779 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Tom Frank taught me the significance of beating on the cups several years ago at Tower Place along with a wonderful false pass of the ball that I had never seen or read about before. I love that ironwood wand that comes with them things. Tom, sure miss your presence here in Cincy.
okito25
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria BC Canada
145 Posts

Profile of okito25
So many Cups so little time .... I was using morrisey and pavel cups for years .. a few years ago My lovely Partner She Gifted me with a set of Johnson ( David Williamson)Cups .. very sweet and generous that girl , smaller than Gazzos .. Gary Animals , But beautiful weight and sound ... I also like using the Fab fruit from Michael Ammar loads with out a hitch and looks Great !, after I Tame my habit from collecting coinboxes I will persue More cups Smile, I keep the boys in the club Scratching their heads Last years Auction I sold one little chop cup and bought 4 others that were unique and different , I think One set of everything would be a good start Smile.. I guessI would have to go alphabetically starting with Biro then Frank .. etc etc he he he
Keet
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Tom Boehnlein, thanks for the kind words. I miss all of my friends and customers from the Carew Tower Magic Shop days as well. That was one hell of an 8 year run we had there ay? It was just getting good when the riots hit and changed it all for me. Oh well.

Have you checked out my blog to see what going on with me these days?

http://www.ballvase.com/tfrank/weblog/tfblog.htm

It's been a rocky road ever since I left Cincinnati, but I always end up landing on my feet.
Tom Wolf
View Profile
Special user
Harrison, Ohio
576 Posts

Profile of Tom Wolf
Hi Tom,

How nice to read that you are doing so well.

I still have fond memories of the few times that we had together with Larry Pringle.

Take care and please stay in touch.

Tom Wolf aka "Mike"
The magic director and performer at the Rincon Gaucho supper club in Mexico City,

We opened the first and only close-up room for magic in Mexico with Wolf Ruvinskis.
have several new coin vanishes and routines to share shortly just as soon as I can find someone to film them for me.

Now living in Harrison, Ohio
garyanimal
View Profile
Regular user
UK
136 Posts

Profile of garyanimal
I use Gary Animal cups with the small top. Gazzos are too big for me, even if I did design them.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-01-30 15:55, garyanimal wrote:
I use Gary Animal cups with the small top.

Yeah, me too. I bought them from you... along with an old beat up set of huge copper flower pots. Great cups all, and having a blast with them! Thanks again!

Glad to see you decided to join the fun here, too.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
garyanimal
View Profile
Regular user
UK
136 Posts

Profile of garyanimal
I miss the old flower pots. Used that a lot and made a good living with them. Still the house is full of stuff. It's got go---got to get lean
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hey Gary,

Let me know when you are cleaning house. I have a set of the Gazzo's and am in the market for something a bit smaller when I work indoors. Tennis ball size load.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Hi everyone,

I received the copper Gazzo street cups a few days ago, and all I can say is WOW!
I had only used Morrissey cups before, and I don't think I will ever be able to go back... I mean when you compare the design, weight, balance, etc... the Gazzo cups are far superior.

Did I say BIGGER too!?! (a morrissey cups fits inside!!!)

I have to admit I was hesitant to spend that amount of money on cups... but I do not regret it at all, in fact I will recommend them from now on!

In fact I will probably order a set of "Babe" cups or "Gary Animal" cups (with the small top).

Cheers!

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I just got my new Gazzos too! WOW! I ordered the new "Super Animals." They are the size of the big Gazzos but with the small top. Not only does the Morrissey cups fit inside, so does my dog's head! My fist also fits nicely too (in the cup, not the dog) which might be nice when grocery shopping for loads so I don't have to borrow a wheelbarrow to lug the cups with me to the store.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Gazzo cups are the best. Gazzo doesn't make cheap junk. I love my Gazzo cups, there are a lot of good cups out there do not get me wrong, but for a busker who wants to produce oranges the Gazzo cups are the best.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I have just got a set of Gary's golf cups they are so nice, cute is the word.
I have worked the Gazzo cups but I now work Gary Animal Cups in my street show.

I got the golf cups for close up, I have been able to work six golf balls from one coat pocket, nice, again for close up the golf cups are the best.
Mario
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What are your workhorse cups... and why. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL