The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Only 2 man show in my city (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
I am the only 2 man show in my city (like penn and teller) yet I don't get any gigs but all the poeple that have seen my show are amazed
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
The thing is I could amaze anybody with a deck of cards or whatever, it doesn't mean they will book me.

How do you advertise? do you give out business cards ect every show? Make sure people want to book YOUR show.

Perhaps pay perticular attention to what Kyle and Donald have to see as they can give you a lot of information on marketing.

On the other hand, if you are quite young this can sometimes be a factor against you, it may not be your show that is the problem.

Matt
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Without knowing more about you and your show it's hard to comment,

If you're talking kids, (which is what you should be in this forum,) The magic is secondary to the journey, so it may be you can amaze them, but did not actually entertain them.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7407 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I present a two person show with my wife, but I agree, the first question is, "Are you offering a kid friendly program?" I assume you are or want to, because you started the thread in this section. "Do we even like kids?" Please don't do kids shows unless you like children. It really isn't easy money, and customers can sense if you don't like children.

(For me personally, I also have a background in childcare. I took Early Childhood Education training at one time to work with preschool age children, and also spent 10 years in the afterschool program profession. So, I was a childcare professional in addition to doing shows.)

Then, the next question is this, "Is my show any good?" If it is good, and all the people who have seen your show are amazed, then you should be able to start asking for reference letters from your customers. Reference letters will help you get your foot in the door with future customers.

Also ask for referrals in a tactful way, and give out your business cards or promotional products (activity book, bookmark, colouring page, postcards, etc) after your shows to the children in the audience.

Back to the subject of reference letters. If you are having trouble getting those letters, or even if you are getting those letters, then sit down with some people who you trust, and get some HONEST feedback about your show and how to polish it. Read as much material about showmanship as possible. Think, learn and act, on what you read and hear.

If your show has too many problems, find some venues to perform at for free, to build the quality of your show through practical experience. You can shortcut the time it takes to polish by practicing and also doing many real-life shows in a short amount of time. Make sure you aren't just repeating the same faults over and over again, and polishing a flawed show. Make sure you are getting advice, painful and honest feedback about how to make it better.

Then, your third question should be, "Where can we do this act?" Don't assume everywhere at first, and take a shotgun approach to marketing. Be bullet focused and pick one specific type of market to focus on first.

Learn how to market your show, and also learn the important touches (several are posted in other threads) to grow your business like good customer service, using a script when selling your show, learning about human relation skills, etc.

Any worthwhile endevor is going to be hard work. So prepare to roll up your sleeves and get to work.

That should get you started.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Just being the only 2 man show in your city does not mean people will beat a path to your door. Your show not only has to be good but it must be market specific. By this I mean that your show must really tie in to what your target market really is looking for and in the need for.

If you are doing kid's shows and you are trying to do your show like a close up show to wow them, then your show is completely out of context to the market since kids do not react that way to magic. As Clive said, if it is a kid's market, kids enjoy the journey of the trick more then the trick itself.

What market are you gearing your show towards? Children? Families? Coporate? Festivals? Each of these markets requires a different and unique approach and it might help us to help you better.

What shows are you currently doing and how long and what are some of the effects that are in the show?

You first must have a good show that really defines and relates to your market well. Once you have a good show that is market specific, then you can go on to the next step of marketing yourself and learning how to get people to know you.

This is a porcess of taking direct action to let people know that you are not just a product but you offer solutions to your clients needs and you not only meet their needs but go and exceed them time and again.

You will need good marketing materials for starters as this is a direct extension of your show and your image. It is what we refer to as your brand image. This means a consistent look and style on your business card and promo packet stuff etc.

I will leave at this for now and look forward to hearing some answers to some of the questions posted.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

You've received such great advice so far, that I can't really add much other than this. In your mind you may be thinking, hey you get two magicians for the price of one. In a customers mind they may be thinking...hmm wonder if that means double the price?

Without knowing more details and how you are marketing yourself it's difficult to give more info.

Best of luck to you!
Chrystal
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
Butt it is good all the people ive showed it too were like afterwards that was a great show brett and chris...

and we advertise I don't get it
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
It is not in the amount of advertising you do as it is in HOW you advertise and how you are marketing yourself to your market. You simply may not be marketing yourself as well as you could be.

This is nothing wrong or meant to be mean spirited, but often times people just do not realize that they simply are not marketing themselves as best as they could.

Can you give us some stats and info on how you advertise and what you are currently doing to get shows? Also tell us what market you are trying to sell your show to? What is the intended audience like?

This information will help us better help you and perhaps through your answers, we might be able to figure out what you are doing right and what might be soemthing you may need to change or adjust and what you are not doing that will work better for you.

I look forward to reading your answers and reply and helping you the best I can.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
I have ordered those big signs in the past with neon letters that the trucks bring in and put on lawns

half time show at football game

downtown giving out business cards

door to door flyers

coffee shop bulletain boards

IGA bulletain board

free show certificates to charitable silent auctions

anything more that you would suggest?

and the intended audience is anyone with a sense of humor
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7407 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Just want to point out a small distinction that was made earlier. There is a slight difference between being amazing and entertaining. Those two words are not synonymous. I hope that the people were entertained, more than anything.

What is the main problem you are experiencing about your publicity / promotion efforts?

Is it that people don't respond to your promotional efforts? Or is it that they call, and aren't responding to your sales script/price?

There could be a problem with the ad copy, or the sales script, or the price, or ???

- Donald

P.S. Have you had the media run a story on you yet? That is one way at getting free publicity.

Are you giving out something to the people in your audience after your show? They are your prime referral people / potential customers. They have just seen a sample of your work.

Have you tried direct mail to some venues that might book your show?

Have you tried an ad in a parent's magazine?

Have you tried a classified ad?

Have you tried a yellow pages ad?

How are you positioning yourself in your market? Magicians for all / any occasions?
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Only 2 man show in my city (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL