The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Tell me about Andrew Mayne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
I visited his sight and read the pitch on his material.
What is your take on his material? Workable?
Which are the gems and which are the garbage?
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1781 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Bo I like Andrew's material he takes simple concepts & gives you a beginning to use as is or build on, a couple items that come to mind are his bowling ball production, needle through arm addition which allows your arm to be inspected before hand & some great ideals in Solo FX just like his thinking as I do not do any illusions. I do not think I have bought anything of his & been disappointed.
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
Hmmmmmmmm andrew mayne has some nice wacky ideas , you have to sift tru some of his items to find some really good gems , but then again , who has ever gave you the ability to constuct good illusions out of nothing , just cardboard boxes ect ect .

here is a good example

sword cabinet = approx 1500$
andrew mayne's voodoo box = around 30$ worth or cardboard and umbrellas

hope this helps .
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I really like the way Andrew Mayne thinks! My first book by him was Mad Mojo, and I've been hooked ever since. You do have to sift through his stuff to find what works for you, because he has a pretty broad range of effects and ideas - closeup to street to parlor to stage (and back again!). From Mad Mojo, I really like A'Wave, his impromptu version of B'Wave that you can do with cards from a borrowed deck. The bowling ball from paper bag is priceless! That's on his Shock FX DVD, and it is easily worth the price of admission, as they say. I've used it as an opener for my show and it kills. I found that most of the stuff in his illusion book and solo-fx just didn't work for me, because (as the titles suggest) they're bigger illusions, and I don't do big illusions. Depending on what type of magic you're into, I'd say try to get something from him that fits your performing style and your interests, and start there. His ebook on 50 ways to promote yourself (or something along those lines) has some good ideas in it as well.
Brandon Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Louis, Missouri
293 Posts

Profile of Brandon Delgado
I agree with much of what has been written so far. Mayne has a creative magical mind with a huge range of ideas, and this is what I like about his work. There are the occasional gems, along with many good and some so-so effects; so you'll have to do some sifting to find what will work for you. But even if I don't care for an effect, it may very well spark some creative center in my brain to come up with something of my own. Thus far, the best things I have from him are his ghost bills DVD and his book(let) Mayhem. Favorite effect from Mayhem: Cup-O-Joe-Mama in which you produce a full mug of coffee from an apparently empty sack. The methods for both are deviously simple, characteristic of most of his stuff, but it's that simplicity that I like.

Brandon
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
The only Mayne product I have is Touching Sky, his booklet on levitations, and if you're interested in that, it's worth the price. It has some very creative ideas.

P.S.- Anybody know the status of the Magic Radio Show?
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
486 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Quote:
On 2005-01-21 11:35, marko wrote:
P.S.- Anybody know the status of the Magic Radio Show?

I know of these two:

http://www.letstalkmagic.tk/

http://www.magicbroadcast.com/index.php
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
I believe Andrew has been very busy for the last several months. I have the feeling it might return, perhaps not in a weekly format.
Jonathan Rice
View Profile
Loyal user
Maryland
223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Rice
I emailed him littl while ago and he said it wouldl return when they could get David Williamson on the show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Tell me about Andrew Mayne (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL